Patricia K. Donahoe
Early life and educationEdit
She received her BS from Boston University and MD from Columbia University. Her surgical residency was at Tufts Medical Center, pending which she researched at the Boston Children's Hospital under Judah Folkman. Her clinical fellowship was at Massachusetts General Hospital and she attended Registrar and Senior Registrar posts at Adler Hey Children's Hospital.
Career and researchEdit
Donahoe was invited to join the Dept. of Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital in 1973, where she is currently the Chief Emerita of Pediatric Surgical Services. She has been the Director of Pediatric Surgical Research Laboratories since 1973. In 1986, she was appointed as the Marshall K. Bartlett Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School. She is also an associate Member of the Broad Institute.
An ex-Chair of the Scientific Advisory Board at St. Judes Medical Center and a member of the Scientific Advisory Board at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, she also serves on the Board of Trustees at Boston University.
Donahoe's principle domain of research lies in the realm of developmental biology and focuses upon the potential use of anti-Müllerian hormone (AMH) as novel chemotherapeutic agents against ovarian cancer. She also investigates the molecular mechanisms of sex differentiation and foregut development to treat congenital defects of the trachea and esophagus or to reconstruct them.
Awards and honorsEdit
In 2006, she was elected as the president of the American Pediatric Surgical Association for a one-year tenure. She has been a member of the National Academy of Science since 1999. She is also a fellow of the National Academy of Medicine and the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. In 2018, she was awarded the Pincus Medal by University of Massachusetts Medical School for her research into anti-Müllerian hormone as a potential anti-cancer agent.
- "Patricia K. Donahoe, MD". hsci.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2019-05-03.
- "Patricia K. Donahoe, M.D." BAPS Congress. Retrieved 2019-05-03.
- "Donahoe". Evol Science. Retrieved 2019-05-03.
- "Patricia K. Donahoe, MD - DF/HCC". www.dfhcc.harvard.edu. Retrieved 2019-05-03.
- "APSA Past Presidents". American Pediatric Surgical Association. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- "Patricia Donahoe". www.nasonline.org. Retrieved 2019-05-03.
- "UMass Medical School awards Patricia Donahoe 2018 Pincus Medal". University of Massachusetts Medical School. 2018-04-06. Retrieved 2019-05-03.