This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Paper Mate is a registered division of Sanford L.P., a Newell Brands company that produces writing instruments. Paper Mate's offices are located in Oak Brook, Illinois, along with those of Newell Rubbermaid's other office products divisions.
|Founded||1940 (as The Frawley Pen Company)|
1949 (as Paper Mate)
|Founder||Patrick J. Frawley|
|Headquarters||Oak Brook, Illinois, U.S.|
Early in 1941, Patrick J. Frawley acquired his first company, a ballpoint pen parts manufacturer that had defaulted on its loan. In 1949, The Frawley Pen Company developed an ink which dried instantly. The pen that delivered this ink was called "The Paper Mate".
In 1955, the Frawley Pen Company was obtained by The Gillette Company, Inc. for $15.5 million, and formed the basis for the Paper Mate Division of Gillette. Twenty-five years later (1980), Gillette acquired Liquid Paper and Waterman; with these acquisitions, the Paper Mate Division was changed to the Stationery Products Group. In late 2000, Gillette's stationery products division was purchased by Newell Rubbermaid and merged with Newell Rubbermaid's Sanford Brands division.
The Paper Mate brand is applied to ballpoint pens, mechanical pencils, 'Flair' felt tip pens, erasers, and more which are offered in a variety of colors and shapes. In 2010, Paper Mate introduced "environmentally friendly" biodegradeable pens, pencils and erasers.
Notes and referencesEdit
- Goliath Business: Paper Mate profile[https://web .archive.org/web/20100811041719/http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/product-compint-0000614389-page.html Archived] 2010-08-11 at the Wayback Machine
- Paper Mate History Archived 2010-09-26 at the Wayback Machine
- "The Gillette Company". International Directory of Company Histories. (c) 2006.
- Paper Mate products as of 2012
- Paper Mate biodegradable products Archived 2011-07-24 at the Wayback Machine