View over Osterwieck and Harz range
|• Mayor||Ingeborg Wagenführ (Ind.)|
|• Total||212.67 km2 (82.11 sq mi)|
|Elevation||123 m (404 ft)|
|• Density||52/km2 (130/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Dialling codes||039421, 039422, 039458|
The municipal area stretches along the river Ilse, north of Wernigerode and the Harz mountain range. On 1 January 2010 the municipalities of the former Verwaltungsgemeinschaft ("collective municipality") Osterwieck-Fallstein –Deersheim, Hessen, Osterode, Rohrsheim, Veltheim, Zilly, and Dardesheim– together with Berßel, Bühne, Lüttgenrode, Rhoden, Schauen, and Wülperode merged into Osterwieck.
The settlement was first mentioned about 780 when Charlemagne in course of the Saxon Wars crossed the Oker river and had a church dedicated to Saint Stephen erected at a place then called Salingenstede. This church became a centre of the Christian mission among the pagan Saxons, overseen by Hildegrim of Châlons, and the origin of the later Bishopric of Halberstadt. On 1 April 974, Emperor Otto II issued a deed granting market and mint rights to Seligenstadt, this is commonly regarded as the date of the town's foundation.
The name Osterwieck was first mentioned in a 1073 letter by Archbishop Liemar of Bremen to Bishop Burchard II of Halberstadt. Destroyed by a blaze in 1511, the town was rebuilt and today features an ensemble of about 400 Fachwerk buildings. The nave of the St. Stephen Church erected in the 16th century is one of the oldest Protestant church buildings, while its Romanesque twin steeples date back to 1100.
Seats in the town's council (Stadtrat) as of 2014 local elections:
Osterwieck is twinned with:
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Osterwieck.|
- Official website (in German)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Osterwieck.|