Omaha Public Library (building)
The original Omaha Public Library building was built in 1891 at 1823 Harney Street in downtown Omaha, Nebraska by renowned architect Thomas Kimball. Designed in the Second Renaissance Revival style, the building was designated an Omaha Landmark in October 1978, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places that same year.
Omaha Public Library
|Location||1823 Harney Street, Omaha, Nebraska|
|Architectural style||Second Renaissance Revival|
|NRHP reference No.||78001696 |
|Added to NRHP||1978|
|Designated OMAL||October 17, 1978|
Similar to the Boston Public Library, the original Omaha Public Library building is the best early Second Renaissance Revival structure in Nebraska. Byron Reed, a pioneer real estate broker in Omaha, donated the site for the building and his collection of books, manuscripts and coins.
The library closed on February 16, 1977. It was subsequently renovated as an office building called the "Omaha Library Plaza".
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. January 23, 2007.
- "Omaha Landmarks". Omaha Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission. Retrieved 2013-03-05.
- "Omaha Public Library", City of Omaha Landmark Heritage Preservation Commission. Retrieved 10/5/09.
- Pollack, O. "Postcards from the Past", Nebraska Center for the Book News. Retrieved 9/5/07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Omaha Public Library (Omaha, Nebraska).|
|This article about a National Register of Historic Places listing in Omaha, Nebraska is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|