This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ogasawara (小笠原村 Ogasawara-mura) is a village in Ogasawara Subprefecture, Tokyo Metropolis, Japan, that governs the Bonin Islands, Volcano Islands, and three remote islands (Nishinoshima, Minami-Tori-shima and Okinotorishima).
Ogasawara Village Skyline
Location of Ogasawara in Tokyo Metropolis
|• Mayor||Kazuo Morishita|
|• Total||104.41 km2 (40.31 sq mi)|
|• Density||26.5/km2 (69/sq mi)|
|• Tree||Screw pine|
|• Flower||Munin Himetsubaki (Schima mertensiana)|
|• Bird||Bonin white-eye|
|Time zone||UTC+9 (JST)|
|City hall address||Nishimachi, Chichi-jima, Ogasawara-mura, Tōkyō-to|
- Ōmura (大村) on Chichijima
- Ōgimura-Fukurosawa (扇村袋沢村) on Chichijima
- Kitamura (北村) on Hahajima
- Okimura (沖村) on Hahajima
- Iōtō (硫黄島村) on Iwojima (Iōtō), which includes all of the Volcano Islands
- Ishinomura (east)
- Nishimura (west)
The municipality consists of the following groups and single isolated islands:
- Bonin Islands (小笠原群島 Ogasawara Guntō), 73.00 km2
- Volcano Islands (火山列島 Kazan-rettō) 29.71 km2
- Kita Iwojima (北硫黄島 Kita-Iōtō, lit. "North Sulphur Island") 5.57 km2
- Iwojima (硫黄島 Iōtō, lit. "Sulphur Island") 20.60 km2
- Minami Iwojima (南硫黄島 Minami-Iōtō, lit. "South Sulphur Island") 3.54 km2
- Nishinoshima (西之島 lit. "Western Island"; also known as Rosario Island), a single isolated island west of Hahajima rettō and part of the Volcano Islands, 0.29 km2
- Okinotorishima (沖ノ鳥島 or 沖鳥島, lit. "Remote Bird Island") 0.01 km2
- Minamitorishima (南鳥島, lit. "Southern Bird Island"; also known as Marcus Island) 1.40 km2
The population of the municipality resides on Chichi-jima (pop. about 2300) and Haha-jima (pop. about 500). The administration and village hall is located in the village of Omura on Chichi-jima. In addition, there is an air base with 400 soldiers on Iwojima of the Volcano Islands.
Ogasawara Village operates the island's public elementary and junior high schools.
- Ogasawara Village Municipal Ogasawara Junior High School (小笠原村立小笠原中学校) in Chichi-jima
- Ogasawara Village Municipal Ogasawara Elementary School (小笠原村立小笠原小学校) in Chichi-jima
- Ogasawara Village Municipal Haha-jima Elementary School and Junior High School (小笠原村立母島小中学校) on Haha-jima
- 伊豆・小笠原諸島における 情報通信インフラ整備状況の調査 Archived October 24, 2007, at the Wayback Machine (Survey on improvement conditions of telecommunication infrastructures in Izu-Ogasawara Islands), Kantō Bureau of Telecommunications, retrieved on October 16, 2008.
- "Historical Development" (in Japanese).
- "学校教育." Ogasawara, Tokyo. Retrieved on March 8, 2018.
- 小笠原村立小笠原中学校. www.ogachu.que.ne.jp (in Japanese).
- 東京都立小笠原高等学校. www.ogasawara-h.metro.tokyo.jp (in Japanese).