|• Mayor||Steffen Schneider (FW)|
|• Total||77.35 km2 (29.87 sq mi)|
|Elevation||400 m (1,300 ft)|
|• Density||100/km2 (270/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The town includes the villages of Börnichen, Breitenau, Frankenstein, Gahlenz, Görbersdorf, Kirchbach, Lößnitztal and Schönerstadt.
Oederan was first mentioned as town in 1286. The settlement of the area dates back to a Sorbian tribe in the 9th and 10th century. Rhenish Franconian farmers, craftsmen and traders settled down in the 12th century. Since the Middle Ages the most important industries had been cloth manufacturing and linen weaving. In the 19th century the railway construction had a great influence to the growth of the town. Some medium-sized factories were built around the train station of Oederan.
Places of interestEdit
Oederan is known for its tourist attraction “Klein-Erzgebirge”, the oldest miniature park in Germany. About 185 miniatures of famous buildings from the area of the Erzgebirge (Ore Mountains) in a reduced scale of 1:25 are shown here.
The second most prominent building of the town is the town hall. First built around 1400 AD, it burned down several times (1632, 1709 and 1753), and was re-erected in its present shape in 1785.
- Valentin Schindler (1543-1604), philologist and orientalist
- Johann Klemm (* c. 1595; † c. 1659), composer, organist and music publisher
- Minna Planer - (1809–1866), Richard Wagner's first wife, actress
- Adolf Gottlieb Fiedler - (1771–1850), Saxon entrepreneur in Saxony and Poland
- Herbert Böhme (1879-1971), Superintendent of the Lutheran Evangelical Lutheran Church of Saxony in the church district of Meißen
- Adolf Gottlieb Fiedler (1771-1850), entrepreneur in Saxony and Poland
- Martin Hoffmann (born 1930), student resistance in the GDR, 2002 founder of the Zeitkundemuseum in Oederan, 2008 Federal Cross for his commitment to the elaboration of the GDR's injustice
- Igor Mitoraj - (1944-2014), Polish sculptor and painter, born in Oederan
- "Bevölkerung des Freistaates Sachsen nach Gemeinden am 31. Dezember 2019". Statistisches Landesamt des Freistaates Sachsen (in German). July 2020.
- oederan.de: History of Oederan. June 8, 2008
- Christine O'Keefe: Concentration Camps.
- klein-erzgebirge.de: Der älteste Miniaturpark der Welt lädt ein!. June 8, 2008