Ocean City School District
The Ocean City School District is a comprehensive community public school district that serves students in kindergarten through twelfth grade from Ocean City, in Cape May County, New Jersey, United States.
|Ocean City School District|
|501 Atlantic Avenue|
Ocean City, NJ 08226
|Superintendent||Dr. Kathleen W. Taylor|
|Business administrator||Timothy E. Kelley|
|Students and staff|
|Enrollment||1,390 (as of 2014-15)|
|District Factor Group||DE|
Merger discussions with the Sea Isle City School District in 2008 ended after the Ocean City district indicated that it did want to accept Sea Isle City's tenured teachers, which it would be required to do under state law. Sea Isle City currently spends $35,000 per student and hoped to see savings through the merger, even after adding in transportation costs. The Sea Isle City district graduated its last eighth grade class in June 2009 and with the 2010-11 school year, students from Sea Isle City started attending the Ocean City schools starting in fifth grade. As of June 30, 2012, Sea Isle City School District no longer operates, in the face of an order by the Commissioner of the New Jersey Department of Education that was based on declining enrollment and budgetary issues. All students from Sea Isle City in public school for pre-Kindergarten through twelfth grade attend Ocean City Public Schools.
Public school students from Corbin City, Longport, Sea Isle City and Upper Township attend Ocean City High School for ninth through twelfth grades as part of sending/receiving relationships with their respective school districts.
The district is classified by the New Jersey Department of Education as being in District Factor Group "DE", the fifth-highest of eight groupings. District Factor Groups organize districts statewide to allow comparison by common socioeconomic characteristics of the local districts. From lowest socioeconomic status to highest, the categories are A, B, CD, DE, FG, GH, I and J.
- Elementary schools
- Ocean City Primary School (K-3; 384 students)
- Cathleen Smith, Principal
- Ocean City Intermediate School (4-8; 507 students)
- Geoffrey Haines, Principal
- High school
- Dr. Kathleen W. Taylor, Superintendent
- Timothy E. Kelley, Business Administrator / Board Secretary
- District information for Ocean City School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Taxpayers' Guide to Education Spending April 2013, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Editorial. "Merging schools / Law makes it hard", The Press of Atlantic City, June 30, 2008.
- Ianieri, Brian. "Sea Isle sends off eight in city's last graduation", The Press of Atlantic City, June 19, 2009. Accessed August 4, 2011. "Facing declining enrollment and fewer children left in the seasonal city, the school board in March made a controversial decision to send fifth-grade to eighth-grade students to the Ocean City School District in the fall. Sea Isle's school will retain pre-Kindergarten through fourth-grade classes. The city's high school-age students have long attended Ocean City High School."
- Rudloff, Mary. "State orders Sea Isle City school to close; Sea Isle, Ocean City school boards vote not to stand in the way; students to come to Ocean City", Ocean City Sentinel, May 2, 2012. Accessed July 22, 2014. "By voting to not oppose the Order to Show Cause, both school districts agree to expand the send-receive relationship, sending Sea Isle's students in kindergarten through third grade to Ocean City beginning in September. Sea Isle's students in grades four through 12 already attend school in Ocean City."
- Ocean City High School 2016 Report Card Narrative, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed August 6, 2017. "Ocean City High School is a comprehensive high school serving the communities of Ocean City, Upper Township, Sea Isle City, Corbin City and Longport, with an enrollment of over 1,250 students."
- NJ Department of Education District Factor Groups (DFG) for School Districts, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed October 15, 2014.
- School Data for the Ocean City School District, National Center for Education Statistics. Accessed December 7, 2016.
- Schools, Ocean City School District. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- New Jersey School Directory for Ocean City School District, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.
- Ocean City Primary School, Ocean City School District. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- Ocean City Intermediate School, Ocean City School District. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- Ocean City High School, Ocean City School District. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- Ocean City Board of Education, Ocean City School District. Accessed January 10, 2017.
- New Jersey School Directory for Cape May County, New Jersey Department of Education. Accessed December 29, 2016.