O Music Awards
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The O Music Awards (commonly abbreviated as the OMAs) is an awards show presented by MTV to honor music, technology and intersection between the two. The 1st O Music Awards ceremony was held on April 28, 2011 on Fremont Street in Downtown Las Vegas. The 3rd O Music Awards was held on June 27, 2012. The show continues all year round in the form of a music and tech blog, The O Music Blog, and a New York-based live events series called Unboxed that features music, tech, art and interactivity.
|O Music Awards|
Logo of the 2013 O Music Awards.
|Awarded for||Awards achievement in the intersection between music and technology|
|Presented by||MTV, Viacom|
|First awarded||April 28, 2011|
Past winners include Spotify (Best Music App), Björk (Digital Genius Award), Way Out West (Most Innovative Festival), CrowdJuke (Best Music Hack) and Lady Gaga (Must Follow Artist On Twitter, Innovative Artist). The show has also featured up-and-coming acts like Foster The People and Alabama Shakes, as well as icons like The Flaming Lips and Robyn.
Running in tandem with the awards and performances, O Music Awards have successfully made its way into the history books by carving out 3 Guinness World Records. During the inaugural O Music Awards in Las Vegas in April 2011, rapper Chiddy of Chiddy Bang snagged Guinness World Records titles for the Longest Freestyle Rap and the Longest Marathon Rapping record after rapping for 9 hours, 16 minutes and 22 seconds. For O Music Awards 2, the show took on an even more ambitious goal: Longest Team Dance Marathon. A group of 13 dancers assembled at LA’s famed club The Roxy on Halloween Eve to take on this epic attempt. Twenty-four hours later, all 13 were still standing and seized the record. The effort also raised more than $32,000 to fight bullying, with the money divided equally between the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network (GLSEN), the It Gets Better Project, the Gay Straight Alliance Network (GSA), Human Rights Campaign (HRC), Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) and The Trevor Project.
O Music Awards 2011: I
- Best Fan Cover: Alex Goot
- Funniest Music Short: Lonely Island, I Just Had Sex
- Innovative Artist: Lady Gaga
- Must Follow Artist on Twitter: Lady Gaga
- Most Innovative Music Video: Andy Grammer, Keep Your Head Up
- Fan Army FTW: Tokio Hotel’s Aliens
- NSFW Music Video: Thirty Seconds to Mars, "Hurricane"
- Most Viral Dance: Willow Smith, Whip My Hair
- Best Independent Music Blog: Aquarium Drunkard
- Best Music Discovery Service: Pandora
- Best Performance Series: Daryl Hall, "Live From Daryl’s House"
- Favorite F**k Yeah Tumblr: F**k Yeah Adam Lambert
- Favorite Animated GIF: Nicki Minaj
- Best Fan Forum: Michael Jackson – MJJCommunity
- Best Music Hack: Invisible Instruments
- Best Animal Performance: Parrot Dancing To Willow Smith’s Whip My Hair
- Best Tweet: Kanye West – “I hate when I’m on a flight and I wake up with a water bottle next to me like oh great now I gotta be responsible for this water bottle”
O Music Awards 2011: II
- Must Follow Artist on Twitter: Adam Lambert
- Fan Army FTW: Tokio Hotel's Aliens
- Best Lyrics Video: Joe Jonas, See No More
- Best Artist With a Camera Phone: Demi Lovato
- Oops I Did It Online: James Blunt
- Best Web-Born Artist: Kina Grannis
- Best Vintage Viral Video: Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit
- Digital Genius Award: Björk
- Best Fan Cover: Marc Martel Somebody to Love by Queen
- Hottest Music NILF: Katie Morse
- WTF I Love This Award: Nyan Cat
- Too Much Ass for TV: Marilyn Manson, "Born Villain"
- Most Outrageous Tweet: @BritneySpears to @DJPaulyD: "Hope you enjoyed your dance! Was tough getting my legs around that big blowout :)"
- Best Music Forum: Rap Godfathers
- Most Innovative Festival: Way Out West
- Best Music App: SoundCloud
- Best Music Hack: CrowdJuke
- Beyond the Blog: Needle Drop
- Most Addictive Social Music Service: Spotify
- Biggest Superfan: Billy Humanoid
O Music Awards 2012:
- Best Artist With A Cameraphone: Selena Gomez
- Best Artist/Digital Entrepreneur: Katy Goodman
- Best Music App: Artist growth
- Best Music Hack: Bohemian Rhapsichord
- Best Music Teacher Replacement: Bandhappy
- Best Online Concert Experience: 30 Seconds to Mars
- Best Protest Song: "Bohemian Rhapsody"
- Best Web-Born Artist: Karmin
- Beyond the Blog Award: Metal Injection
- Beyond the DJ: Most Innovative Solo Performer: MNDR
- Digital Genius Award: iamamiwhoami
- Fan Army FTW: Tokio Hotel: Aliens
- Hottest Music NILF: Tatiana Simonian: Head of Music at Twitter
- Most Addictive Social Music Service: Myxer Social Radio
- Most Adorable Viral Star: Abby Koocher: "Bong Pugz"
- Most Extreme Fan Outreach: Riot in Paris
- Most F***ed-Up Live Performance Gone Viral: Kelvin Cheung: Executes Epic Drum Solo Fail
- Most Innovative Music Video: We The Kings Say You Like Me
- Most Intense Social Spat: Frances Cobain vs. Courtney Love
- Must Follow Artist on Twitter: Adam Lambert
- Too Much Ass For TV: Big Freedia: "Booty Battle" Video Game
- WTF I Love This Award: Drinkify
- "MTV to Launch OMAs, Digital Music Awards Show in April". Billboard. Associated Press. February 24, 2011. Retrieved October 1, 2013.
- "About the O Music Awards". Viacom. Archived from the original on February 2, 2012. Retrieved May 28, 2012.
- "Viva Las Vegas!". O Music Awards Blog. Viacom. April 19, 2011. Retrieved May 28, 2012.
- "OMA Unboxed". O Music Awards Blog. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "SoundCloud Is The Best Music App". O Music Awards Blog. 2011-10-30. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Bjorks Wins The Title of Digital Genius". O Music Awards Blog. October 31, 2011. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Way Out West Is: The Most Innovative Festival". O Music Awards Blog. October 29, 2011. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "CrowdJuke Wins Best Music Hack: Meet Its Creator". O Music Awards Blog. October 28, 2011. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- Anitai, Tamar (2011-04-29). "O Music Awards: Lady Gaga Wins Innovative Artist Award AND Must-Follow Artist On Twitter!". MTV Buzzworthy. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "FLASHBACK: Remember How Foster The People Played The O Music Awards?". O Music Awards Blog. December 6, 2011. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Alabama Shakes Perform 'You Ain't Alone'". O Music Awards Blog. October 31, 2011. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "The Flaming Lips to Perform Tribute To Steve Jobs During the O Music Awards". O Music Awards Blog. October 25, 2011. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Robyn To Headline the O Music Awards". O Music Awards Blog. October 25, 2011. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- Ehrlich, Brenna (2011-04-29). "New Guinness World Record Set for Longest Freestyle Rap". Mashable. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "Dance Marathon record set at MTV O Music Awards". Guinness World Records. 2011-11-02. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- Renna (2011-04-29). "MTV O Music Awards – Complete List Of Winners (Videos)". Allie Is Wired. Archived from the original on 2013-08-10. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- Warner, Kara (2011-11-01). "O Music Awards Take Over Halloween's Largest Street Party - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved 2013-07-18.
- "O Music Awards 3". Viacom International.