SFR (Société française du radiotéléphone) is a French mobile communications company that serves millions of households in France.
|Founded||18 November 1987|
|Headquarters||Altice Campus, |
|France, Réunion, Mayotte, Belgium, Luxembourg, Guadeloupe, Martinique|
|Alain Weill (Chairman and CEO)|
|Products||Box de SFR, Home by SFR, mobile phones|
|Services||Fixed-line internet, mobile internet, fixed-line and mobile telephony, IP television|
|€12.183 billion (2011)|
|€2.472 billion (2010)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||RED by SFR, SFR Business|
As of December 2015, it has 21.9 million customers in Metropolitan France for mobile services, and provides 6.35 million households with high-speed internet access.
SFR also offers services in the overseas departments of France, in the Caribbean islands of Martinique, Guadeloupe, and in Guyane, as well as in the Indian Ocean, in Mayotte and on the Réunion island through SRR (Société Réunionnaise du Radiotéléphone), although the company is branded as SFR Réunion.
SFR (SFR Belux) operated in Belgium as a cable operator and MVNO in some communes of Brussels Region and in some areas of Luxembourg. The division was sold to rival Telenet (owned by Liberty Global) in December 2016.
SFR was founded as a company in 1987 in order for its parent company Compagnie Générale des Eaux (CGE) to start offering a 1G mobile phone service using the modified Nordic telecommunications standard NMT-F, to be operated in competition with the then-telephony incumbent France Télécom's Radiocom 2000 (fr) network. SFR also became the second French mobile network operator (after France Télécom) to launch 2G GSM services, which it did on 15 November 1992.
Vivendi announced in March 2014 that it planned to sell its SFR division. On 14 March, Vivendi announced that it would enter exclusive negotiations with Altice/Numericable, to the exclusion of Bouygues and Iliad. Arnaud Montebourg, the French Minister for Industrial Renewal, provoked a storm when he stated that the Numericable/SFR deal was a certainty. Iliad lost 7.5% of its market value on that day.
- 1987-1990: "Parce qu’un abonné SFR n’est pas qu’un simple numéro"
- 1990-1994: "Ligne SFR, Le téléphone liberté"
- 1994-1996: "SFR, Le monde sans fil est à vous"
- 1996-1999: "Sans fil SFR, le monde est à vous"
- 1999-2000: "Vous n'avez pas fini d'être LIBRE"
- 2000-2001: "SFR, le meilleur réseau"
- 2001-2003: "Vous serez toujours plus qu’un simple numéro"
- 2003-2005: "Plus de plaisir"
- 2005-2007: "Parlons mieux, parlons mobile"
- 2007-2008: "Vivons mobile"
- 2008-2010: "SFR, et le monde est à vous"
- 2010-2014: "Carrément vous"
- 2014-2015: "Smart comme vous"
- 2015-2016: "SFR, et tout s'accélère"
- 2016-2017: "#NewSFR"
- 2017: "Pour vous, SFR change"
- 2017-2018: "SFR, en chemin vers le meilleur"
- 2018: "SFR, enjoy"
SFR TV is a television service accessible on La Box de SFR and La Box Fibre de SFR, which delivers television programs via the broadband internet telephone network (xDSL), high-speed internet (FTTH or FTTB fiber within Numericable). The service was also broadcast by satellite with SFR Sat available on the Astra 19.2°E satellite until October 2015.
The SFR TV package includes more than 200 channels, some pay-tv channels can be added as an option, by subscribing to a specific paid package, classified by theme (sport, youth, music, international ...).
SFR Sport (now RMC Sport) is a package of French TV channels (SFR Sport 1, SFR Sport 2, SFR Sport 3, SFR Sport 4K, SFR Sport 5) from the SFR Group devoted to sports. They are available for SFR and OTT subscribers.
- "Management team". SFR. Retrieved 2 May 2016.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 6 July 2011. Retrieved 1 August 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Numericable-SFR regagne enfin des clients sur le marché mobile". Nextimpact.com, 15 March 2016
- "Vodafone and SFR strengthen strategic global alliance". Vodafone.com, 7 May 2014
- "Vivendi Selling SFR to Altice in $23 Billion Deal, Hard-Fought Win for Drahi". bloomberg.com, 7 April 2014
- lepoint.fr: 'Numericable-SFR : "l'avenir commence aujourd'hui"' 14 Mar 2014
- europe1.fr: 'Échec des négociations pour la vente de Bouygues Telecom à Orange' 1 April 2016