Northern Arizona Lumberjacks men's basketball
The Northern Arizona Lumberjacks men's basketball team represents Northern Arizona University, located in Flagstaff, Arizona, in NCAA Division I men's competition. The school's team has competed in the Big Sky Conference since 1970. The team's most recent appearance in the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament was in 2000. The Lumberjacks are currently led by interim head coach Shane Burcar who replaced Jack Murphy in June 2019 after his departure for Arizona. Murphy took over as head coach in April 2012 after a disastrous season in which previous head coach Mike Adras resigned in December and the team lost its final 16 games. All NAU Lumberjack basketball games are broadcast on KAFF Country Legends 93.5/AM 930 in Flagstaff, Fun Oldies 1450 AM/100.9 in Prescott and Money Radio 1510AM in Phoenix, with commentary provided by the "Voice of the Lumberjacks" Mitch Strohman, Coach Dave Brown with the play-by-play and Dave Zorn, host of the NAU Halftime Report. All games can be also heard online at KAFFLegends.com
|Northern Arizona Lumberjacks men's basketball|
|Head coach||Shane Burcar (interim 1st season)|
|Arena||Walkup Skydome |
|Colors||Blue and Gold|
|NCAA Tournament Appearances|
|Conference Tournament Champions|
|Conference Regular Season Champions|
|1986, 1997, 1998, 2006|
NCAA tournament resultsEdit
The Lumberjacks have appeared in two NCAA Tournaments, with a combined record of 0–2.
|1998||15 W||Round of 64||(2) #9 Cincinnati||L 62–65|
|2000||15 W||Round of 64||(2) #8 St. John's||L 56–61|
The Lumberjacks have appeared in the National Invitation Tournament (NIT) three times, with a combined record of 0–3.
|1986||First Round||Louisiana Tech||L 61–67|
|1997||First Round||Arkansas||L 74–101|
|2006||First Round||Delaware State||L 53–58|
The Lumberjacks have appeared in the CollegeInsider.com Postseason Tournament (CIT) twice, with a combined record of 4–2.
|2011||First Round||Santa Clara||L 63–68|
W 74–73 OT
NAIA tournament resultsEdit
The Lumberjacks have appeared in the NAIA Tournament four times, with a combined record of 7–4.
L 50–56 OT
National 3rd Place
Northeast Missouri State
|W 49–45 OT|
|1954||First Round||Rio Grande||L 74–90|
Prairie View A&M
- Dan McClintock – former NBA center, had brief stint with the Denver Nuggets
- Andre Spencer – former NBA Forward, played three years in the NBA. drafted by the Atlanta Hawks
- Cameron Jones – selected 10th overall in 1st round by Ft. Wayne Mad Ants in NBA Development League Draft November 4, 2011
- Kyle Landry –
Basketball Canada National Team member. ABA League champion (2018) Montenegrin Cup winner (2018)
Notes and referencesEdit
- "Northern Arizona University Visual Identity Guide" (PDF). Retrieved June 3, 2017.
- Northern Arizona uses "Lumberjacks" as its athletic nickname for both sexes. This contrasts with the other NCAA Division I school with that nickname, Stephen F. Austin State University—the latter school uses "Lumberjacks" only for men's teams and "Ladyjacks" for women's teams.
- Richard Obert (June 4, 2019). "Shane Burcar will use interim season as chance to audition to be permanent NAU head coach". AZ Central. Retrieved February 13, 2020.
- Associated Press (April 12, 2012). "N. Arizona hires Jack Murphy". ESPN.com. Retrieved April 13, 2012.
|This article about a basketball team in Arizona is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|