Norma Broude (born 1 May 1941) is an American art historian and scholar of feminism and 19th century French and Italian painting. She is also a Professor Emerita of art history from American University. Broude, with Mary Garrard are early leaders of the American feminist movement and have redefined feminist art theory.
Life and workEdit
She was born Norma Freedman on 1 May 1941 in New York. She holds a Master of Arts and Doctor of Philosophy in Art History from Columbia University and a Bachelor of Arts in Art History and English from Hunter College.
Broude is known for her publications on the reassessments of Impressionists; Edgar Degas, Gustave Caillebotte, Mary Cassatt and Georges Seurat. Since 1982 Broude has collaborated with Mary Garrard and has published numerous classics of feminist art history, most notably The Expanding Discourse: Feminism and Art History.
- Gustave Caillebotte: And the Fashioning of Identity in Impressionist Paris, Norma Broude 2002, ISBN 978-0-81353-0-185
- The Power of Feminist Art: The American Movement of the 1970s, History and Impact, with Mary D. Garrard 1996, ISBN 978-0-8109-2659-2
- The Expanding Discourse: Feminism and Art History, with Mary D. Garrard 1992, ISBN 978-0-06430-2-074
- Impressionism: A Feminist Reading: The Gendering of Art, Science, and Nature in the Nineteenth Century, Norma Broude 1991, ISBN 978-0-84781-3-971
- Feminism and Art History: Questioning the Litany, with Mary D. Garrard 1982, ISBN 978-0-0643-0117-6
- Seurat in Perspective. Norma Broude 1978 ISBN 978-0-13807-1-073
- The Macchiailoli: Academicism and Modernism in Nineteenth Century Italian Painting, Norma Broude, Columbia 1967, ISBN 978-0-30003-5-476
- "Norma Broude". Dictionary of Art Historians. Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- "Profile Norma Broude". American University. Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- "Brief Bios: Norma Broude and Mary D. Garrard". Feminist Art History Conference 2010. American University. Retrieved 2 May 2017.
- "Awards for Distinction". College Art Association (CAA). Retrieved 2017-05-02.
- Haynes, Clarity (2015-03-14). "How We Got Here: Portrait of the Artist as a Queer Feminist". Hyperallergic Magazine. Retrieved 2017-05-02.