Norden, Lower Saxony
|• Mayor||Heiko Schmelzle (CDU)|
|• Total||106.33 km2 (41.05 sq mi)|
|Elevation||7 m (23 ft)|
|• Density||240/km2 (610/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
26506, 26492–26496, 26501, 26519–26520
|Vehicle registration||AUR, NOR|
Town and land useEdit
|+ Area in ha by usage|
As at 30 June 2009
|Buildings and open spaces||943.54|
|Fields and sports facilities||71.34|
|Roads, paths and parking lots||420.76|
|Waterbodies, ditches, ponds||291.11|
|Protected areas among others||250.10|
Norden consists of the town itself and ten official subdistricts. In addition to the old town centre, the main town includes the former municipality of Sandbauerschaft and the subdistricts Ekel, Lintel and Westgaste. They are divided into various quarters and residential areas such as Neustadt, Westlintel, Ostlintel, Ekelergaste, In der Wirde, Vierzig Diemat, Martensdorf, or "millionaire quarter". They have in common that they do not have any administrative function, but are places referred to in everyday local language.
The main town and the villages of Bargebur, Norddeich, Süderneneuland I and Süderneuland II, as well as parts of Westermarsch II, have largely grown together, and with the exception of Norddeich and Westermarsch II, form extensive residential and commercial areas in the south and east of the borough. About 92.5% of the total urban population live in this "metropolitan area". The remaining subdistricts continue to be very rural and mostly sparsely populated, but they occupy by far the largest share of the total area of the borough.
- Hermann Conring (1606–1681), German physician and politician
- Johann Cramer (1905–1987), German politician (SPD), member of the German Bundestag
- Wilhelm von Freeden (1822–1894), German mathematician, scientist and oceanographer and founder of the North German Naval Observatory
- Recha Freier (1892–1984), writer, winner of the Israeli State Prize
- Wilhelm Gnapheus (1493–1568), a humanist and Reformed Protestant scholar
- Otto Ites (1918–1982), Rear Admiral of the Federal Navy, support the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and the Federal Order of Merit
- Marco Kutscher (born 1975), show jumping
- Herbert Müller (born 1953), painter
- Johann Schröder (1925–2007), German mathematician
- Heiko Schwartz (1911–1973), water polo player
- Barbara Schlag (born 1951), teacher, mayor of Norden from 1998-2016
- Landesamt für Statistik Niedersachsen, LSN-Online Regionaldatenbank, Tabelle 12411: Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes, Stand 31. Dezember 2018.
- mNavID=1.100&sNavID=549.20&La=1 "Numbers and dates" Check
|url=value (help). Norden. 2009-06-30. Retrieved 2009-12-20.
- Stadt Norden: Einwohnerzahlen nach Ortsteilen (Stand: 31. Dezember 2009)