This article relies largely or entirely on a single source. (September 2020)
Nissim Francez (Hebrew: נסים פרנסיז; born: 19 January 1944) is an Israeli professor emeritus in the Computer Science Faculty at the Technion and former head of Computational Linguistics Laboratory in the faculty.
|Alma mater||Hebrew University|
|Thesis||The specification and verification of cyclic (sequential and concurrent) programs (1976)|
|Doctoral advisor||Amir Pnueli|
Early life and educationEdit
Nissim Francez was born in Bulgaria. His family emigrated to Israel in 1949. He received his B.Sc. in Mathematics and Philosophy from the Hebrew University, Jerusalem in 1965. After his military service in the IDF, he studied at the Department of Applied Mathematics at the Weizmann Institute, Rehovot, and received his M.sc. in 1971.
Francez was a Research Associate at Queen’s University Belfast, Northern Ireland in 1976. A year later he joined the Computer Science Department of the University of Southern California (USC), as an Assistant professor.
In 1978 He returned to Israel as a Lecturer in the Computer Science Department in the Technion, Haifa. A year later he was promoted to senior lecturer, and in 1984 to Associate Professor. In 1991 he became a full Professor at the Computer Science Faculty in the Technion, and in 1996-2006 he was the head of the Computational Linguistics Laboratory at the faculty. Francez held the Bank Leumi chair in Computer Science in the faculty from 2000 until 2010, when he retired from the Technion as professor emeritus.
In his sabbaticals and summer leaves, Francez has been a Research Associate at Aiken Computation Lab. at Harvard University in the summers of 1981 and 1982. He was also a Visiting Scientist at Abo Academy, Turku, Finland (1988) and at the Department of Computer Science, University of Utrecht, The Netherlands (1992). Francez was an Honorary Visiting Professor at the Department of CS, Manchester University (1996-1997), and a Senior Academic Visitor at HCRC, Department of Informatics, Edinburgh University (2002) and at the School of Computer Science, St Andrews University (2007).
Francez was working in IBM Scientific Center, Haifa in 1981-1982 , and a year later at IBM-T.J.Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, N.Y., United States as a Visiting Scientist. In 1983-85 he was working on design and implementation of a Prolog programming environment at IBM Scientific Center, Haifa. He was a Visiting Scientist at Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation (MCC), Austin, TX, USA in the summers of 1986 and 1987 and 1989-1990 In 1997 he was a Visiting Scientist at Centrum Wiskunde & Informatica (CWI), Amsterdam.
He has also carried out work in formal semantics of natural language, type-logical grammar, computational linguistics, unification-based grammar formalisms (LFG, HPSG). In the past he was interested in semantics of programming languages, program verification, concurrent and distributed programming and logic programming.
Membership in professional societiesEdit
Francez was a member of the following associations: Association for Computing Machinery (SIGPLAN), IEEE Computer Society, Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), Association for Logic Programming, International association for Logic, Language and Information (FoLLI), European Association for Theoretical Computer Science (EATCS), Israeli association for theoretical linguistics (IATL).
- Francez, Nissim (1992). Program Verification. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company. ISBN 978-0-201-41608-4.
- Francez, Nissim; Forman, Ira R. (1996). Interacting Processes: A Multiparty Approach to Coordinated Distributed Programming. Addison-Wesley. ISBN 978-0-201-56528-7.
- Francez, Nissim; Wintner, Shuly (2011). Unification Grammars. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1-139-50357-0.
- Francez, Nissim (2012). Fairness. Springer Science & Business Media. ISBN 978-1-4612-4886-6.
- Francez, Nissim (2015). Proof-theoretic Semantics. College Publications. ISBN 978-1-84890-183-4.
- Francez, Nissim; Pnueli, Amir (1 June 1978). "A proof method for cyclic programs". Acta Informatica. 9 (2): 133–157. doi:10.1007/BF00289074. ISSN 1432-0525. S2CID 40233148.
- Grumberg, Orna; Francez, Nissim; Makowsky, Johann A.; de Roever, Willem P. (1 July 1985). "A proof rule for fair termination of guarded commands". Information and Control. 66 (1): 83–102. doi:10.1016/S0019-9958(85)80014-0. ISSN 0019-9958.
- Zamansky, Anna; Francez, Nissim; Winter, Yoad (1 October 2006). "A 'Natural Logic' inference system using the Lambek calculus". Journal of Logic, Language and Information. 15 (3): 273–295. doi:10.1007/s10849-006-9018-x. ISSN 1572-9583. S2CID 8396885.
- Francez, Nissim (1 June 2014). "Bilateralism in Proof-Theoretic Semantics". Journal of Philosophical Logic. 43 (2): 239–259. doi:10.1007/s10992-012-9261-3. ISSN 1573-0433. S2CID 20855471.
- Francez, Nissim (31 January 2019). "Relevant Connexive Logic". Logic and Logical Philosophy. 28 (3): 409–425. doi:10.12775/LLP.2019.007. ISSN 2300-9802.