|• Mayor||Rainer Vidal Garcia (CDU)|
|• Total||79.79 km2 (30.81 sq mi)|
|Elevation||243 m (797 ft)|
|• Density||76/km2 (200/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
- 1 Geography
- 2 History
- 3 Politics
- 4 Economy and infrastructure
- 5 Culture and sightseeing
- 5.1 Buildings
- 5.2 "Holsterturm" landmark
- 5.3 Mediaeval vault system
- 5.4 Weberhaus Nieheim
- 5.5 Nieheimer Flechthecke
- 5.6 Telegraph station no. 32
- 5.7 Culinary specialities
- 5.8 Regular events
- 6 Personalities
- 7 References
- 8 External links
Nieheim lies roughly 10 km northeast of Brakel.
Nieheim consists of the following 10 centres:
- Sommersell mit Kariensiek
Nieheim, with its more than 750-year-old history reaches well back into the Middle Ages. From its beginnings as a community, it grew after being granted municipal privileges (lower court rights, market rights and minting rights, among others) in Bishop Bernhard IV's time (1228 - 1247), into today's town of Nieheim. After quickly developing from a former farming town and Hanseatic member, Nieheim has risen today to be a climatic spa with a function as a minor centre, and a mediaeval town with flair.
Town council's 24 seats are apportioned as follows, in accordance with municipal elections held on 26 September 2004:
Note: UWG is a citizens' coalition.
Coat of armsEdit
Nieheim's civic coat of arms might heraldically be described thus: In gules a cross Or, in each quarter an orb Or.
These arms date from 1591 at the latest, and the colours are those borne by the old Prince-Bishopric of Paderborn, among whose many holdings was Nieheim. The orbs stand for Saint Nicholas, the town's patron saint.
The coat of arms was granted on 18 July 1908.
Economy and infrastructureEdit
Owing to Nieheim's advantageous location on the north-south-running East Westphalia Road (Ostwestfalenstraße), otherwise known as Federal Highway (Bundesstraße) B252, connections to Autobahnen A 2 (Hanover-Ruhr area) and A 44 (Dortmund-Kassel) are right at hand.
Culture and sightseeingEdit
Among the town's buildings that are worthiest of a look are the Town Hall, built in 1610 in the Weser Renaissance style, the Ratskrug from 1712, a stately half-timbered building, and the Richterhaus ("Judge House"), built in 1701.
As Nieheim's landmark, the Holsterturm (tower) on a nearby bank south of the main town, can look back on a 700-year history.
Mediaeval vault systemEdit
Unique in Westphalia is the vault system through which runs the Nikolausbach (brook), which rises below the Holsterberg (mountain) and runs through the middle of town in this mediaeval vault system.
The Weberhaus Nieheim, the doctor, poet and politician Friedrich Wilhelm Weber's former abode, today houses a widely known Kolping diocesan training centre and a Heimvolkshochschule, which lends itself well to any form of training work and has at its disposal the best technical equipment.
Also, the Pan-German Education Centre of Youth in Europe (Gesamtdeutsche Bildungsstätte der Deutschen Jugend in Europa) in Nieheim-Himmighausen offers extensive seminars for groups geared towards various ends.
Typical of countryside scenery around Nieheim is what is called Flechthecke, meaning, roughly, "braided hedge". The hedges themselves are mostly – about 80% – hazelnut growth, all planted in a row. Here and there are found the odd hawthorn and single wild roses. Trimmed willow trees, about 2 m high, serve as living fenceposts to keep the hedges steady. Young withes are taken from these willows to do the braiding. If dairy cows or horses are to be kept in the paddock ringed by one of these braided hedges, blackthorn twigs are also tied onto the inside to thwart any nibbling. A finished hedge has a height of roughly 1.5 m and is braided in three layers.
Telegraph station no. 32Edit
As a relic of an almost forgotten communication technology, a reconstructed optical telegraph station still stands high over the countryside near Oeynhausen. This is run by the Oeynhausen history club (Heimatverein), and guided tours are available to those who wish them.
In Nieheim, a kind of cheese is made, Nieheimer Käse (Nieheim cheese), a sour milk cheese nowadays made by only one cheesemaker. It had almost been forgotten, but is now becoming better known thanks to tourism. It is ripened in wooden moulds in a warm place and then seasoned with salt and caraway. Depending on the ripening time, it can be a Handkäse, a cooking cheese or a hard grating cheese.
The "German Cheese Market" is held every other year – in even-numbered years – and draws cheesemakers from all over the world who make their cheeses the old way, by hand, presenting their finished products.
In 2004, the Fourth German Cheese Market drew more than 70,000 visitors to Nieheim. In 2006, the German Cheese Market is to be held on 1–3 September.
The "Nieheim Wood Days" are held every other year – in odd-numbered years – and everything at this event revolves around the themes "wood, forest and nature".
Choirs from all over Germany come to Nieheim for the Choir Festival to train their voices.
Sons and daughters of the townEdit
In the ecclesiastical field, Dietrich von Nieheim (1338/48 - 1418), who served three popes and was held in high regard in the Roman Curia, achieved international recognition, if not outright fame. This is also said of Hugo Makibi Enomiya-Lassalle (1898 - 1990), a Jesuit priest, a religious philosopher, a meditation teacher and the builder of the Peace Church in Hiroshima born on the Externbrock estate near Nieheim. His life's work is the development of the Japanese Zen practice as a way to a deep belief experience for Christians.
- "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden Nordrhein-Westfalens am 31. Dezember 2018" (in German). Landesbetrieb Information und Technik NRW. Retrieved 10 July 2019.