Neuburg an der Donau
Neuburg a.d. Donau
Residenzschloss, the seat of Palatine Electors.
|• Lord Mayor||Dr. Bernhard Gmehling (CSU)|
|• Total||81.32 km2 (31.40 sq mi)|
|Elevation||383 m (1,257 ft)|
|• Density||370/km2 (950/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The municipality has 16 divisions:
Neuburg was originally an episcopal see. In the 10th century it passed to the counts of Scheyern and through them to Bavaria, being ceded to the Rhenish Palatinate at the close of a war in 1507. From 1557 to 1742 it was the capital of a small principality ruled by a cadet branch of the family of the elector palatine of the Rhine. This principality of Palatinate-Neuburg had an area of about 2,600 square kilometres (1,000 sq mi) and about 100,000 inhabitants. In 1742 it was united again with the Rhenish Palatinate, with which it passed in 1777 to Bavaria.
In 1806 in became part of firstly Altmühlkreis (its center was Eichstätt) between 1806 and 1808, later Oberdonaukreis (its center was firstly Eichstätt between 1810 and 1817, later Augsburg between 1817 and 1837). It was a rural district center in Schwaben region in 29 November 1837. On 30 June 1972, Neuburg an der Donau became a Grosse Kreisstadt (similar to a county seat) and was passed to Upper Bavaria region.
Neuburg an der Donau has a defensive wall around the old town. The old town contains some well worth seeing institutions and happenings, such as the 'Birdland Jazz Club Neuburg', one of the best locations for jazz auditions in Germany.
The Renaissance Ducal Palace (Pfalz-Neuburger Residenzschloss), Neuburg Castle, which was built 1530-45 under Otto Henry, Elector Palatine and took on its present-day form during the reign of Philip William, Elector Palatine, today houses several museums including a Baroque gallery of the Bavarian State Picture Collection and the Archäologie-Museum Schloss Neuburg an der Donau (Neuburg an der Donau Castle Archaeology Museum), a branch of the Bavarian State Archaeological Collection.
Other main sights include the late Renaissance court church Hofkirche (1607/08 built by Josef Heintz), the Town Hall (1603/09), the rococo Provinzialbibliothek (Provincial Library, 1731/32) and the baroque churches of St. Peter (1641/46) and St. Ursula (1700/01). Grünau is a renaissance hunting lodge of Elector Otto Henry, which is situated 7 km further east (built from 1530 onwards).
Neuburg an der Donau is twinned with:
Neuburg an der Donau is linked with:
- Hamburg, Germany
- Eduard von Lutz (1810–1893) Bavarian Major General and War Minister.
- Heinrich Schlier (1900–1978) a theologian, initially with the Evangelical Church and later with the Catholic Church.
- Günter Hirsch (born 1943), jurist, President of the Federal Supreme Court 2000-2008
- Bernd Eichinger (1949-2011), German film producer, director and screenwriter
- Hans-Peter Ferner (born 1956), middle distance runner, participated in the 1984 Summer Olympics
- Doris Schröder-Köpf (born 1963), journalist and author, fourth wife of former chancellor Gerhard Schröder 1997-2016
- Diana Kobzanová (born 1982), Miss Czech Republic 2001
- Verena Rehm (born 1984), backing vocalist and pianist of the Eurodance dance group Groove Coverage
- "Tabellenblatt "Daten 2", Statistischer Bericht A1200C 202041 Einwohnerzahlen der Gemeinden, Kreise und Regierungsbezirke". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). July 2020.
- One or more of the preceding sentences incorporates text from a publication now in the public domain: Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). "Neuburg". Encyclopædia Britannica. 19 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 423.
- "Partner und Freunde". neuburg-donau.de (in German). Neuburg an der Donau. Retrieved 2019-12-04.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Neuburg an der Donau.|
- www.neuburg-donau.de — official website
- Birdland Jazz Club Neuburg
- http://www.cybercastle.org — summit of cities named "new castle"
- photographs of Neuburg an der Donau