Neubrandenburg (lit. New Brandenburg, IPA: [nɔʏˈbʁandn̩bʊʁk]) is a city in the southeast of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Germany. It is located on the shore of a lake called Tollensesee and forms the urban centre of the Mecklenburg Lakeland.
Neubrandenburg skyline with Tollensesee
|• Lord Mayor||Silvio Witt|
|• Total||85.65 km2 (33.07 sq mi)|
|Elevation||20 m (70 ft)|
|• Density||750/km2 (1,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
17033, 17034, 17036, 17050
The city is famous for its rich medieval heritage of Brick Gothic, especially the world's best preserved defensive wall of this style, and the Concert Church (Saint Mary), home venue of the Neubrandenburg Philharmonic. Neubrandenburg is nicknamed for its four medieval city gates - "Stadt der Vier Tore" ("City of Four Gates"). It is part of the European Route of Brick Gothic, a route which leads through seven countries along the Baltic Sea coast.
Since 2011, Neubrandenburg is the capital of the Mecklenburgische Seenplatte district. It is the third-largest city and one of the main urban centres of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. The city is an economical node of northeastern Germany, featuring one of the highest national ranks in employment density and GDP per capita. The closest greater urban areas are the regiopolis of Rostock and the metropolises of Szczecin, Berlin and Hamburg. Since 1991, Neubrandenburg hosts a University of Applied Sciences that also offers international exchanges, guest programs and studies.
The first Christian monks in the area were Premonstratensian in Broda Abbey, a monastery at the shore (about 1240). The foundation of the city known as of Neubrandenburg took place in 1248, when the Margrave of Brandenburg decided to build a settlement in the northern part of his fief, naming it after the older city of Brandenburg further south. In 1292 the city and the surrounding area became part of Mecklenburg.
The city flourished as a trade centre until the Thirty Years' War (1618–48), when this position was lost due to incessant warfare. During the dramatic advance of the Swedish army of Gustavus Adolphus into Germany, the city was garrisoned by Swedes, but it was retaken by Imperial Catholic League forces in 1631. During this campaign, it was widely reported that the Catholic forces killed many of the Swedish and Scottish soldiers while they were surrendering. Later, according to the Scottish soldier of fortune Robert Munro, 18th Baron of Foulis, when the Swedes themselves adopted a "no prisoners" policy, they would cut short any pleas for mercy with the cry of "New Brandenburg!". The city, therefore, played an unconscious role in the escalation of brutality of one of history's most brutal wars.
During the Second World War, a large prisoner-of-war camp, Stalag II-A, was located close to the city. In 1945, few days before the end of the Second World War, 80% of the old town was burned down by the Red Army in a great fire, and about 600 people committed suicide as a result. Since then, most buildings of historical relevance have been rebuilt. Neubrandenburg was a bezirk centre between 1952 and 1990.
Sights and monumentsEdit
See also: Media related to Cultural heritage monuments in Neubrandenburg at Wikimedia Commons
Of these, one of the most impressive is the Stargarder Tor (pictured), with its characteristic gable-like shape and the filigree tracery and rosettes on the outer defence side.
Another place of interest is the Brick Gothic Marienkirche (Konzertkirche) (Church of the Virgin Mary or St. Mary's Church), completed 1298. The church was nearly destroyed in 1945, but it has been restored since 1975 to house a concert hall (opened 2001).
The tallest highrise in the city is the 56m Haus der Kultur und Bildung (HKB, House of Culture & Education), opened in 1965. Its slender appearance has earned it the nickname Kulturfinger ("culture finger").
Other attractions include Neubrandenburg Regional Museum.
- Hochschule Neubrandenburg (University of Applied Sciences)
- Three large secondary schools
Neubrandenburg is known as city of sports (Sportstadt). The city is famous for being home to various Olympic medal winners and talents in sports, especially in canoeing (Andreas Dittmer, Martin Hollstein), discus throwing and shotputting (Astrid Kumbernuss, Ralf Bartels, Franka Dietzsch) and running (Katrin Krabbe). Neubrandenburg was the location of both of the world record throws in Discus, by Jürgen Schult in 1986 and by Gabriele Reinsch in 1988. The Jahnstadion, the Jahnsportforum stadium, the Stadthalle and adjacent sport parks offer vast options for large sport and culture events. The city is also home to a dedicated sports elite school, the Sportgymnasium Neubrandenburg.
- Collegno, Italy – since 1965
- Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany – since 1987
- Gladsaxe, Denmark – since 1990
- Koszalin (German Köslin), Poland – since 1974
- Nazareth, Israel – since 1998
- Nevers, France – since 1973
- Petrozavodsk, Russia – since 1983
- Villejuif, France – since 1966
- Yangzhou, China – since 1999
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Neubrandenburg.|
- (in German) Gottlob von Hacke: Geschichte der Vorderstadt Neubrandenburg. Vol. I: Vom Jahr 1248 bis 1711 (no further volume did appear). Neubrandenburg 1783 (online)
- (in German) Franz Boll: Chronik der Vorderstadt Neubrandenburg. Neubrandenburg 1875. (Reprinted several times)
- (in German) Wilhelm Ahlers: Historisch-topographische Skizzen aus der Vorzeit der Vorderstadt Neubrandenburg. Neubrandenburg 1876. (Reprinted several times)
- (in German) Karl Wendt: Geschichte der Vorderstadt Neubrandenburg in Einzeldarstellungen. Neubrandenburg 1922. (Reprinted in 1984)
- "Statistisches Amt M-V – Bevölkerungsstand der Kreise, Ämter und Gemeinden 2018". Statistisches Amt Mecklenburg-Vorpommern (in German). July 2019.
- Agentur für Arbeit Neubrandenburg Archived 2011-07-16 at the Wayback Machine
- Facts & numbers about Neubrandenburg (neubrandenburg.de)
- Lakotta, Beate (2005-03-05). "Tief vergraben, nicht dran rühren" (in German). SPON. Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- Partner cities at www.neubrandenburg.de
- Neubrandenburg travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Chisholm, Hugh, ed. (1911). Encyclopædia Britannica. 19 (11th ed.). Cambridge University Press. p. 423. .
- Official website (in German)/(in English)