Muhammad ibn Ya'qub al-Kulayni
Abu Ja'far Muhammad bin Yaqoub ibn Ishaq al-Kulayni
|Era||Islamic golden age|
|Region||Iran & Iraq|
|Notable work(s)||Kitab al-Kafi|
Al-Kulayni was born in Kulayn, a village or small town situated near Rey, in Iran. His father was Ya'qub al-Kulayni, who is buried at Rey. He belonged to the era of the Minor Occultation of Muhammad al-Mahdi (the last Twelver Shia Imam who, according to Shia belief, is currently in occultation and will certainly appear before the Day of Judgment) and is claimed to have greatly benefited from al-Mahdi's divine knowledge by interacting with him through the Imam's deputies and emissaries.
Kulayni received his early religious education in his native town and went to Rey for further education. According to Shia view he is among a special class of muhaddithin known as Rihalah-ye hadith i.e. those who travelled in order to collect ahadith and met the persons considered to be the authority on hadith.
He travelled to Baghdad for this reason and lived there for twenty years, engaged in teaching and pursuing academic work, until he died in 329 AH/941 CE. He is considered the foremost Shia compiler of hadith and was the author of Kitab al-Kafi.
Work and contributionEdit
Although Shaykh al-Kulaynī is most famous for al-Kāfī, this opus was not his only accomplishment. The following is a list of his known works:
- Kitab al-Kafi (extant)
- Rasāʾil al-aʿimmah
- Kitāb al-rijāl
- Kitāb al-radd ʿalā al-qarāmiṭah
- Kitāb mā qīla fī al-aʾimmah min al-shiʿr
- Kitāb taʿbīr al-ruʾyā
Sadly, of these, only al-Kāfī has survived in its entirety.
- Shaikh Mohammed bin Yaqoob bin Ishaq Kulaini & Al Kafi @ islam-laws.com
- Frye, ed. by R.N. (1975). The Cambridge history of Iran (Repr. ed.). London: Cambridge U.P. p. 472. ISBN 978-0-521-20093-6.CS1 maint: Extra text: authors list (link)
- Sheikh Kulayni, the right keeper of Shia Ahadith mehrnews.com Retrieved 17 Oct 2018
- Ali Akbar al-Ghaffari's introduction to his eight-volume edition of al-Kulayni's Usul al-Kafi , Tehran, 3rd edition 1388-), I, 9–13.
- Ali Akbar al-Ghaffari's introduction to his eight-volume edition of al-Kulayni's al-Kafi , Ibid. I, 13–14.
- Syed Waheed Akhtar: Early Imammiyah Shiite Thinkers
- Meri, Josef W. (2005). Medieval Islamic Civilization: An Encyclopedia. USA: Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-96690-0.
- Islamic Texts Institute. Al-Kafi Book I: Intellect and Foolishness. Taqwa Media. ISBN 9781939420008.
- Classical Islam: A Sourcebook of Religious Literature by Norman Calder, J A Mojaddedi, Andrew Rippin
- The Formative Period of Twelver Shi'Ism: Hadith As Discourse Between Qum and Baghdad by Andrew J Newman
- Great Shiite Works: Al-Kafi by Al-Kulayni by I. K. A. Howard in al Serat Journal.
- 'Al-Kafi' by Al-Kulayni by Dr. I. K. A. Howard Al-Serat, Vol. 2 (1976), No. 1
- The Trustworthy of Islam Kulayni No such page found – October 24, 2012
- The Buyid Domination as the Historical Background for the Flourishing of Muslim Scholarship During the 4th/10th Century by Dr. M. Ismail Marcinkowski* October 24, 2012
- Shaikh Mohammed bin Yaqoob bin Ishaq Kulaini. & Al Kafi
- Islamic Texts Institute
- "Al-Kafi Book I: Intellect and Foolishness"