Ministry of Labour and Employment (India)
The Ministry of Labour & Employment is one of the oldest and important Ministries of the Government of India. The Ministry of Labour and Employment is India's federal ministry which is responsible to protect and safeguard the interest of workers in general and the poor, deprived and disadvantaged sections of the society. The Ministry aims to create a healthy work environment for higher production and productivity and to develop and coordinate vocational skill training and employment. However, Skill Development responsibilities, such as Industrial Training and Apprenticeship responsibilities were transferred to the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship from 9 November 2014 The Ministry launched the National Career Service portal on 20 July 2015 to help bridge the gap between job providers and job seekers.
|Jurisdiction||Republic of India|
|Headquarters||Rafi Marg, New Delhi|
|Annual budget||₹7,700 crore (US$1.1 billion) (2018-19 est.)|
Role and WorkingEdit
The thrust areas of the ministry are:
- Labour Policy and legislation
- Safety, health and welfare of labour
- Social security of labour
- Policy relating to special target groups such as women and child labour
- Industrial relations and enforcement of labour laws in the Central sphere
- Adjudication of industrial disputes through Central Government Industrial Tribunals cum Labour Courts and National Industrial Tribunals
- Workers' Education
- Labour and Employment Statistics
The results of recession  on employment in the eight selected sectors textiles including apparels, leather, metals, automobiles, gems & jewellery, transport, IT/BPO and handloom / powerloom were monitored starting from Oct-Dec 2008. The overall employment in the eight selected sectors covered in the quarterly surveys has increased by 10.66 lakh (0.16%). In IT/BPO sector the increase in the employment is maximum (6.9 lakh) during the year 2009-10.
- Emigration of Labour for employment abroad
- Employment services and vocational training
- Administration of Central Labour & Employment Services
- International co-operation in labour and employment matters
The attached and subordinate offices, autonomous organisations, adjudicating bodies and arbitration bodies are:
- Directorate General of Employment 
- Office of Chief Labour Commissioner has the power to rusticate any labour in charge of the country
- Directorate General of Mines Safety
- Welfare Commissioners
- Employees State Insurance Corporation
- Employees Provident Fund Organisation
- Central Institute for Research & Training in Employment Service
- National Institute for Career Service
- V. V. Giri National Labour Institute
- Central Board for Workers Education
- Central Government Industrial Tribunals and Labour Courts
- Central Labour Institute
Labour Ministers of IndiaEdit
For further information, see Minister of Labour and Employment
- Jagjivan Ram (1947–1952)
- V. V. Giri (1952-1954)
- Gulzarilal Nanda (1957-1963)
- Bindeshwari Dubey (26 June 1988 – 1 December 1989)
- Ram Vilas Paswan(1 December - 2 November)
- Kalvakuntla Chandrashekar Rao (22 May 2004 - 2006)
- Mallikarjun Kharge (29 May 2009-16 June 2013)
- Sis Ram Ola (17 June 2013-15 Dec 2013)
- Narendra Singh Tomar (26 May 2014 – 9 November 2014)
Ministers of State (Independent Charge)Edit
- Oscar Fernandes
- Bandaru Dattatreya (9 November 2014 - 1 September 2017)
- Santosh Gangwar (3 September 2017 - Present)
Ministers of StateEdit
- "Budget data" (PDF). www.indiabudget.gov.in. 2019.
- "Ministry of Labour and Employment Annual Report for Year 2011-2012" (PDF). Ministry of Labour and Employment. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- "National Skill Development Mission". www.pmindia.gov.in.
- "Thrust Areas of Ministry of Labour & Employment, Govt. of India".
- "Press release SIXTH QUARTERLY SURVEY REPORT ON EFFECT OF ECONOMIC SLOWDOWN ON EMPLOYMENT IN INDIA (JANUARY TO MARCH 2010)".
- "Directorate General of Employment (DGE) | Ministry of Labour & Employment". Labour.nic.in. 19 April 2018. Retrieved 15 September 2018.
- Official Website of the Ministry of Labour and Employment
- National Career Service Portal
- Official Ministry Press Releases
- Organisation Chart of the Ministry of Labour and Employment
- Ministry of Labour Annual Report for Year 2011-2012
- International Labour Organisation, UN
- Complete Acts of Ministry of Labour
- Child Labour in India and Women Labour in India
- Related Websites to Ministry of Labour
- Official Labour Statistics