Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Millard is a former town and current neighborhood in southwest Omaha, Nebraska; the original downtown area (often referred to as 'Old Millard') is near Millard Avenue and L Street.
|Founded by||Ezra Millard|
|Time zone||UTC−06:00 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−05:00 (CDT)|
|Area Codes||402, 531|
Millard was laid out in 1870 by Ezra Millard, and named for him. A post office was established in Millard in 1873, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1967. The town was incorporated in 1885. After lengthy legal fights, the town of Millard was annexed by the city of Omaha in 1971. There also were attempts through both the state legislature and the court system to annex Millard into the Omaha Public Schools, but the Millard Public Schools remained an independent unit; although recently they have been included under the Taxing authority of the Learning Community to extend Omaha's tax base.
Millard Public Schools (See also Millard Public Schools)Edit
Millard Public Schools is a prestigious and highly attributed school system. It has 25 Elementary Schools, six middle schools, and four high schools. Many students that do not even live in Millard go to these schools. Aldrich Elementary and Black Elk Elementary are IB elementary schools, while North Middle and North High are also IB. For more information, go to see also Millard Public Schools.
Millard is around 144th and L, with a water tower that says Millard on 144th and Q. It extends to around 180th on the west, 138th on the east, Pacific Street on the North, and Harrison Street on the South.
- Wakeley, Arthur Cooper (1917). Omaha: The Gate City, and Douglas County, Nebraska. S.J. Clarke Publishing Company. p. 419.
- "Douglas County". Jim Forte Postal History. Retrieved 25 August 2014.
- Larsen, Lawrence Harold (2007). Upstream Metropolis: An Urban Biography of Omaha and Council Bluffs. University of Nebraska Press. p. 327. ISBN 0-8032-0602-X.
|This Douglas County, Nebraska state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|