Michael Murphy (academic)
Michael B. Murphy is an Irish doctor and academic. He was the President of University College Cork from 2007 to 2017. Since April 2019, Murphey is President of the European University Association (EUA).
|14th President of University College Cork|
|Preceded by||Gerard Wrixon|
|Succeeded by||Patrick G. O'Shea|
|Profession||Physician and academic|
Early life and educationEdit
Murphy earned his undergraduate degree in medicine at University College Cork (UCC), graduating in 1973. He undertook further studies at the Royal Postgraduate Medical School in London, England. He then studied for a doctorate at the National University of Ireland, which he completed in 1984.
From 1984 to 1992, Murphy taught medicine and pharmacology at the University of Chicago in the United States. In 1992, he returned to Ireland and UCC, where he had been appointed Professor of Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics. He was appointed the dean of the faculty of medicine and health at UCC in 2000, before becoming the head of its college of medicine and health in 2006. In December 2006, he was announced as the next President of University College Cork. He took up the post on 1 February 2007 in succession to Gerry Wrixon. He stepped down as president in 2017, after ten years leading UCC, and was succeeded by Patrick O'Shea.
- Murphy, M.B; Kohner, E; Lewis, P.J; Schumer, B; Dollery, C.T (December 1982). "Glucose intolerance in hypertensive patients treated with diuretics; a fourteen-year follow-up". The Lancet. 320 (8311): 1293–1295. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(82)91506-9.
- Brown, M. J.; Brown, D. C.; Murphy, M. B. (8 December 1983). "Hypokalemia from Beta-Receptor Stimulation by Circulating Epinephrine". New England Journal of Medicine. 309 (23): 1414–1419. doi:10.1056/NEJM198312083092303.
- Vaughan, Carl J; Murphy, Michael B; Buckley, Brendan M (October 1996). "Statins do more than just lower cholesterol". The Lancet. 348 (9034): 1079–1082. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(96)05190-2.
- Wood, Alastair J.J.; Murphy, Michael B.; Murray, Clare; Shorten, George D. (22 November 2001). "Fenoldopam – A Selective Peripheral Dopamine-Receptor Agonist for the Treatment of Severe Hypertension". New England Journal of Medicine. 345 (21): 1548–1557. doi:10.1056/NEJMra010253.
- Shepherd, James; Blauw, Gerard J; Murphy, Michael B; Bollen, Edward LEM; Buckley, Brendan M; Cobbe, Stuart M; Ford, Ian; Gaw, Allan; Hyland, Michael; Jukema, J Wouter; Kamper, Adriaan M; Macfarlane, Peter W; Meinders, A Edo; Norrie, John; Packard, Chris J; Perry, Ivan J; Stott, David J; Sweeney, Brian J; Twomey, Gillian; Westendorp, Rudi GJ (November 2002). "Pravastatin in elderly individuals at risk of vascular disease (PROSPER): a randomised controlled trial". The Lancet. 360 (9346): 1623–1630. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(02)11600-X.
- "Efficacy of cholesterol-lowering therapy in 18 686 people with diabetes in 14 randomised trials of statins: a meta-analysis". The Lancet. 371 (9607): 117–125. January 2008. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60104-X.
- Sattar, Naveed; McConnachie, Alex; Shaper, A Gerald; Blauw, Gerard J; Buckley, Brendan M; de Craen, Anton J; Ford, Ian; Forouhi, Nita G; Freeman, Dilys J; Jukema, J Wouter; Lennon, Lucy; Macfarlane, Peter W; Murphy, Michael B; Packard, Chris J; Stott, David J; Westendorp, Rudi G; Whincup, Peter H; Shepherd, James; Wannamethee, S Goya (June 2008). "Can metabolic syndrome usefully predict cardiovascular disease and diabetes? Outcome data from two prospective studies". The Lancet. 371 (9628): 1927–1935. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(08)60602-9.
- "UCC Biography– ''President's Biography'' – February 2007". Ucc.ie. 1 February 2007. Retrieved 14 September 2015.
- "IUA Council". Irish Universities Association. Retrieved 1 April 2014.
- "Incoming UCC president open to Israel conference". 26 January 2017. Retrieved 1 February 2017.
- "Michael Murphy elected EUA President".
- "Prof. Michael Murphy". European University Association. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- Flynn, Sean (22 December 2006). "UCC announces appointment of new president". The Irish Times. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- Murray, Niall (1 February 2007). "Murphy begins first day of 10-year term as UCC president". Irish Examiner. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
- Kelleher, Olivia (14 June 2016). "UCC physics graduate named university's next president". The Irish Times. Retrieved 28 October 2017.
| President of University College Cork
2007 to 2017
Patrick G. O'Shea