Michael E. Conley
Michael Edward Conley is a brigadier general in the United States Air Force currently serving as the deputy commander of the Combined Force Space Component Command of the United States Space Command and vice commander of the Space Operations Command. Prior to being assigned at his current position, he was commander of the 1st Special Operations Wing of the United States Air Force.
Michael E. Conley
|Birth name||Michael Edward Conley|
|Born||Geneva, New York|
|Service/||United States Air Force|
|Years of service||1996–present (24 years)|
|Commands held||1st Special Operations Wing|
58th Operations Support Squadron
|Awards||Legion of Merit (2)|
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal (3)
Air Medal (6)
Aerial Achievement Medal (7)
Air Force Commendation Medal (3)
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Combat Action Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Conley was born and raised in Geneva, New York. He was commissioned to the U.S. Air Force on May 1996 after graduating from the United States Air Force Academy. He also completed pilot training in 1998, and since then, has flown the UH-1N and MH-53 helicopters, and the CV-22 tilt-rotor aircraft. Also during his Air Force career, Conley served as special assistant to the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. In 2005, he was named Air Force Special Operations Pilot of the Year. Conely holds three master’s degrees, including a degree in national security and strategic studies from the Naval War College.
1996 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2000 Squadron Officer’s School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2004 M.S. in Management, University of Maryland, University College, Md.
2006 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2008 M.A. in Communication, George Mason University, Va. (AF Intern Program)
2010 Air War College, by correspondence
2014 M.A. in National Security and Strategic Studies, U.S. Naval War College, R.I.
2017 Air Force Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, N.C.
1. 1997–1997, Student Pilot, T-37, Vance AFB, Okla.
2. 1997–1998, Student Pilot, UN-1H, Ft. Rucker, Ala.
3. 1998–2001, UH-1N IP/Executive Officer, 1st Helicopter Squadron, Andrews AFB, Md.
4. 2001–2002, Student Pilot, MH-53J, 551 SOS, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
5. 2002–2004, MH-53J/M Instructor Pilot, 20 SOS, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
6. 2004–2006, MH-53M Evaluator Pilot/Flight Commander, 21st SOS, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
7. 2006–2007, Assistant Operations Officer, 352 OSS, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
8. 2007–2008, AF Intern Program-Strategic Communication, George Mason University, Fairfax, Va.
9. 2008–2009, Chief, Operations Team, SAF/PA, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Arlington, Va.
10. 2009–2011, Chief, Wing Safety/CV-22 Pilot, 1 SOW, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
11. 2011–2013, Commander, 58 OSS, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
12. 2013–2014, Student, U.S. Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
13. 2014–2015, Branch Chief, Joint Staff, J-7, Joint Lessons Learned Division, Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
14. 2015–2016, Deputy Director, CAG/Special Assistant to the CJCS, Pentagon, Arlington, Va.
15. 2016–2018, Vice Commander, 27 SOW, Cannon AFB, N.M.
16. 2018–2020, Commander, 1 SOW, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
17. 2020–present, Deputy Combined Force Space Component Commander, U.S. Space Command, Vandenberg AFB, Calif.
Awards and decorationsEdit
- Legion of Merit with oak leaf cluster
- Bronze Star
- Defense Meritorious Service Medal
- Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Air Medal with five oak leaf clusters
- Aerial Achievement Medal with six oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
- Air Force Achievement Medal
- Air Force Combat Action Medal
- Humanitarian Service Medal
- 2005 Air Force Special Operations Command Pilot of the Year
Effective dates of promotionEdit
|Second lieutenant||May 1996|
|First lieutenant||May 1998|
|Lieutenant colonel||March 2010|
|Brigadier general||June 2020|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Michael E. Conley.|
- Erwin, Sandra (January 31, 2020). "Air Force Special Operations Command officer named to senior post in U.S. Space Force". SpaceNews. Retrieved July 12, 2020.
- Thompson, Jim (February 2, 2020). "Hurlburt commander promoted, given Space Force job". Northwest Florida Daily News. Retrieved July 13, 2020.
- "Brigadier General Michael Conley". Vandenberg Air Force Base. July 2020. Retrieved July 12, 2020. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "PN1397 — Air Force". United States Congress. Retrieved July 12, 2020. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
| Commander of the 1st Special Operations Wing
Jocelyn J. Schermerhorn
Matthew Wolfe Davidson
| Vice Commander of the Space Operations Command and Deputy Commander of the Combined Force Space Component Command