Museum of Fossils
|• Mayor||Andreas Larem|
|• Total||14.82 km2 (5.72 sq mi)|
|Elevation||172 m (564 ft)|
|• Density||280/km2 (710/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Vehicle registration||DA / DI|
The village is first mentioned, as Masilla, in the Lorsch codex. Messel was the property of the lords of Groschlag from ca. 1400 to 1799. After the extinction of the Groschlag male lineage, the village would have passed to the Archbishopric of Mainz but the population refused to accept this transition and paid homage to the daughters of the Groschlag family instead. The minister of the archbishopric, von Albini, consequently occupied the village with a force of 50 hussars. In 1806, the village fell to the Grand Duchy of Hesse.