Mercedes-Benz Arena (Berlin)
|Former names||O2 World (2008-2015)|
|Location||Mercedes-Platz 1, Friedrichshain, Berlin, Germany|
Ice hockey: 14,200
|Construction cost||€ 165 million|
|Architect||HOK Sport (now Populous)|
|Alba Berlin (BBL) (2008–present)|
Eisbären Berlin (DEL) (2008–present)
With a capacity of 17,000 people, it is home to the Eisbären Berlin ice hockey club and the Alba Berlin basketball team, and is used for other ice hockey, basketball and handball matches as well as concerts.
The arena hosted the 2008–09 Euroleague Final Four. The arena was one of the most prominent elements of the Mediaspree urban redevelopment project, quickly gaining emblematic status in the debates surrounding the project's impact.
In 2015, German car manufacturer Mercedes-Benz reached a deal with the arena management to rename the venue Mercedes-Benz Arena Berlin for twenty years. Between 2008 and 2015, the arena was known as O2 World Berlin (German: [ɔʊˈtuː ˌvœːɐ̯lt]) due to sponsorship contract with Telefónica Germany, a telecommunications company.
- The first band to play at the Mercedes-Benz Arena was Metallica on 12 September 2008.
- Tina Turner performed two sold out concerts on 26 and 27 January 2009, with her Tina!: 50th Anniversary Tour.
- The arena was also the home for the 2009 MTV Europe Music Awards.
- Sting performed during his Symphonicities Tour on 21 September 2010, along with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. This show has been recorded for the live album Live in Berlin.
- On 21 February 2009, Scorpions received Germany's ECHO Honorary Award for lifetime achievement at Berlin's O2 World.
- The venue played host to one NHL Premiere game for the 2011–12 NHL season on 8 October 2011. The Buffalo Sabres defeated the Los Angeles Kings, 4–2.
- The arena hosted the second stage of the 2011 Euro Beach Soccer League between 8–10 July.
- Britney Spears performed a sold out concert on 26 July 2009 during The Circus Starring: Britney Spears. She returned for another sold out show on 6 August 2018 as part of her Britney Spears: Piece of Me Tour.
- Muse performed a sold out concert on 29 October 2009 during The Resistance Tour
- Kylie Minogue performed her Aphrodite: Les Folies Tour show on 1 March 2011.
- Bob Dylan and Mark Knopfler played the O2 during the dual European tour on 29 October 2011.
- On 27 March 2012, Il Divo performed a concert as part of their 2012 Wicked Game album tour.
- Madonna performed during her MDNA Tour on two sold out nights in June 2012, and returned for two shows in November 2015 on her Rebel Heart Tour
- Pearl Jam performed at the arena on 4 & 5 July 2012 during their 2012 tour
- Laura Pausini performed here as part of her Inedito World Tour
- The Beach Boys played during their 50th Anniversary Tour in August 2012.
- Lady Gaga performed her Born This Way Ball in September 2012 for one sold out night, and on 9 October 2014 on her ArtRave: The Artpop Ball
- Jennifer Lopez performed during her Dance Again World Tour in October 2012 for one night.
- Beach soccer returned to the arena in August 2012 to again host the second stage of the 2012 Euro Beach Soccer League.
- One Direction performed on May 11, 2013 on their Take Me Home Tour
- Beyoncé performed to two sold out crowds on 23 and 24 May 2013, with her Mrs. Carter Show.
- Iron Maiden performed on 18 June 2013.
- Rihanna performed on 2 July 2013, on her Diamonds World Tour.
- On 7 February 2014 country-pop superstar Taylor Swift performed a show on her Red Tour.
- On 22 May 2014 French-Armenian singer Charles Aznavour performed a show as part of his The Legend Returns Tour.
- On 19 November 2014 rock band Linkin Park performed a show as a part of their The Hunting Party Tour.
- Depeche Mode performed at the stadium three times: the first one was on 9 January 2010 during their Tour of the Universe. The second and the third were on 25 and 27 November 2013 during their Delta Machine Tour, in front of a total sold out crowd of 28,332 people. The 2013 shows were filmed and recorded for the group's concert film Depeche Mode Live in Berlin and for the band's live album Live in Berlin Soundtrack.
- U2 performed at the arena on 24, 25, 28 and 29 September 2015 as part of their Innocence + Experience Tour. They also played at the arena on 31 August and 1 September 2018 as part of their Experience + Innocence Tour.
- Irish-American dancer and musician Michael Flatley reprised his role as Lord of the Dance on 6 December 2010 during the Return of Michael Flatley As Lord of the Dance tour. A few scenes from the 3D concert film Lord of the Dance 3D, were filmed in the during the performance in the arena alongside the O2 London and O2 Dublin. The film was released on DVD and Blu-ray under the title Michael Flatley Returns As Lord of the Dance in 2011. A 3D version was released only in Blu-ray in late 2011.
- In October 2013, the artist Jakob Kupfer transformed the LED facade of the o2 World Berlin into a giant art installation.
- On 31 May 2014 UFC Fight Night: Munoz vs. Mousasi was the first event that the UFC had hosted in the venue.
- It hosted group matches of the FIBA EuroBasket 2015.
- On 31 October 2015 it hosted the 2015 League of Legends World Championship final.
- On June 20, 2015 held UFC Fight Night: Jędrzejczyk vs. Penne.
- Singer and songwriter Adele, performed on 7th and 8 May 2016 as part of her Adele Live 2016 tour.
- Singer Celine Dion, performed on 23 and 24 July 2017 as part of her European summer tour, Celine Dion Live 2017
- On 22 February 2018, it hosted the 4th week of the 2018 Premier League Darts from the Professional Darts Corporation, the first time the event took place in Germany.
- On 16 October 2018, BTS (band) performed during their second Woldtour BTS World Tour: Love Yourself. It was their first time in Europe.
- On 28 February 2019, Nicki Minaj performed as a part of her European tour, The Nicki Wrld Tour.
- On 14 May 2019, Hugh Jackman performed during his The Man. The Music. The Show. Tour.
- On 11 July 2019, Christina Aguilera performed during her The X Tour.
- On 13 July 2019, Monsta X performed during The Third World Tour "We Are Here".
- On 5–8 September 2019, the Champions stage of the StarLadder & i-League Berlin Major 2019 was hosted by StarLadder and Valve. This was an official Major tournament where teams from all over the world competed for $1,000,000 prize fund, playing the video game Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
- On 26 September 2019, singer-actress Cher started the European leg of her Here We Go Again Tour, her first tour to reach Europe since her Living Proof: The Farewell Tour in 2004.
- On 13 October 2019, GOT7 performed here during their 2019 World Tour KEEP SPINNING.
- On May 29, 2021 Céline Dion will performs there during her Courage World Tour.
- It will host the final phase matches at the FIBA EuroBasket 2021.
|German League||European competitions|
Alba Berlin in O2 World inside
- O2 World Berlin Archived 21 June 2009 at the Wayback Machine architect: Populous
- O2 World Berlin Germany Archived 25 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine architect: JSK Architects
- Worldstadiums.com basketball capacity 14,500. Archived 6 October 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- Euroleague.net "the 16,000-seat o2 World".
- Aus o2 World wird Mercedes-Benz Arena Berlin Archived 26 January 2015 at Archive.today, 26 January 2015 (in German)
- Startschuss für die O2 World in Berlin Archived 14 May 2006 at the Wayback Machine, 27 April 2006 (in German)
- Data and facts about O2 World Archived 8 October 2008 at the Wayback Machine 30 September 2008 (in German)
- Euroleague Basketball, AEG Announce Global Partnership Agreement
- "Scorpions performs at Germany's ECHO Awards". Blabbermouth.net. 22 February 2009. Retrieved 22 February 2009.
- "Premiere 2011 teams, locations revealed". NHL.com. 11 April 2011. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "EBSL 2011 goes to Berlin!". beachsoccer.com. 1 June 2011. Retrieved 1 June 2011.
- "2015 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP VENUES". lolesports. Riot Games. Archived from the original on 11 April 2015. Retrieved 9 April 2015.
- Attendance data at Basketball Bundesliga website
- Including playoff games
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mercedes-Benz Arena (Berlin).|
Palacio de Deportes de la CAM
Palacio de Deportes de la CAM
Palais de Paris-Bercy
Sinan Erdem Dome
Seoul World Cup Stadium
| League of Legends World Championship
Sinan Erdem Dome
| FIBA EuroBasket