Saint Martin Church
|Subdivisions||Kernstadt, 4 Ortsteile|
|• Mayor||Lothar Ungerer|
|• Total||19.77 km2 (7.63 sq mi)|
|Elevation||253 m (830 ft)|
|• Density||720/km2 (1,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
As of 31 December 2015, there were 14,851 inhabitants. The population has declined from a peak of over 26,000 in the 1940s.
Meerane was once important for the manufacture of woollen and mixed cloths; associated industries such as dyeworks, tanneries and machine factories were also located there.
In 1546 there were 193 inhabitants, in 1583 120 propertyholders and in 1750 100 houses in the town and 159 houses in the vicinity.
Historical population (from 1960 on 31 December):
1834 to 1946
1950 to 2002
2003 to 2012
Data source from 1998: Statistisches Landesamt Sachsen
- There are several parks: Wilhelm-Wunderlich Park, Annapark, Schillerpark
- The city hall was built in 1727, and has been completely restored
- The Lutheran church of St. Martinskirche was first documented in 1314
- "Bevölkerung des Freistaates Sachsen jeweils am Monatsende ausgewählter Berichtsmonate nach Gemeinden" (PDF). Statistisches Landesamt des Freistaates Sachsen (in German). July 2019.
- "Digitales Historisches Ortsverzeichnis von Sachsen – Meerane" (in German). Institut für Sächsische Geschichte und Volkskunde e.V. Retrieved 2012-10-20.