|• Mayor||Thomas Grosche (CDU)|
|• Total||126.05 km2 (48.67 sq mi)|
|Elevation||410 m (1,350 ft)|
|• Density||64/km2 (170/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Division of the townEdit
Besides, the town center of Medebach, the municipality consists of the following districts, formerly independent villages:
Medebach is twinned with
The town was first mentioned in a document in 1144. It belonged to the Hanseatic League.
Medebach and its district Oberschledorn entered the international news in September 2007 during the 2007 bomb plot in Germany, when three Islamic terrorists, two Germans and a Turk, were arrested there. They had received training in Pakistan and were about to build bombs from hydrogen peroxide in a rented holiday flat.
- Henricus de Medebeke, 1347 mayor of Reval
- Caspar Vopelius, cartographer, mathematician, astronomer
- Wilhelm Hohoff (1848-1923), Catholic priest
- Hermann Bergenthal, painter, Oberschledorn
- Josef Bergenthal, writer (1900-1982), („Münster steckt voller Merkwürdigkeiten“, 1935), Oberschledorn
- Thomas Seeliger (born 1966), football player
- "Bevölkerung der Gemeinden Nordrhein-Westfalens am 31. Dezember 2018" (in German). Landesbetrieb Information und Technik NRW. Retrieved 10 July 2019.
- "Zugriff vor dem tödlichen Knall", Spiegel Online, 5 September 2007. (in German)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Medebach.|
|This Hochsauerlandkreis location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|