Welcome sign on Old Capitol Trail
|Elevation||89 ft (27 m)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||214274|
Marshallton was originally called Hersey Bridge after a gristmill on the Red Clay Creek that was established by Solomon Hersey in 1765. On August 30, 1777 George Washington ordered his army to fall back toward Red Clay Creek during the wee hours of the morning. Here, Washington arranged his troops for battle. The troops immediately dug in, building redoubts and entrenchments. Cannons were placed on a rise "for half a mile as thick as they could stand." The new encampment covered a triangular area with Newport, Marshallton, and Stanton forming the connecting points. In 1836, the name of the community was changed to Marshallton after John Marshall, who built a rolling mill along the creek. The Greenbank Historic Area, Hickman Blacksmith Shop and House, William Julius "Judy" Johnson House, Marshallton United Methodist Church, and Springer-Cranston House are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- "Marshallton". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. U.S. Government Printing Office. p. 200.
- Francis, William (2014). Along the Kirkwood Highway. Images of America. Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing. p. 15. Retrieved December 23, 2016.
- "The Battle of Brandywine". WTJ.com. Retrieved 2008-07-27.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. July 9, 2010.
- Historic Village of Marshallton
- Historic Village of Marshallton Civic Association
- Mill Creek Fire Company
|This Delaware state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|