From today's featured article
Porlock Stone Circle, on Exmoor in the south-western English county of Somerset, is part of a tradition of stone circle construction that spread throughout much of Britain, Ireland, and Brittany during the Late Neolithic and Early Bronze Age between 3,300 and 900 BCE. The purpose of such monuments is unknown, although archaeologists speculate that the stones represented supernatural entities for the circles' builders. Many monuments were built in Exmoor during the Bronze Age, but the only other surviving stone circle in the area is the one near Withypool. The circle near Porlock is about 24 metres (79 feet) in diameter and has thirteen green micaceous sandstone rocks. Directly to the north-east of the ring is a cairn apparently connected to a linear stone row. A small lead wheel inside the circle suggests that the site was visited during the Romano-British period. The site was rediscovered in the 1920s. (Full article...)
Did you know ...
In the news
On this day
From today's featured list
The 2019 American superhero film Avengers: Endgame was nominated for one Academy Award, one Annie Award (which it won), one British Academy Film Award, three Critics' Choice Awards (winning two), one Grammy Award, one Hollywood Film Award (which it won), seven People's Choice Awards (winning three), and two Satellite Awards. The film is the direct sequel to Avengers: Infinity War (2018) and the 22nd film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It was directed by Anthony and Joe Russo, produced by Kevin Feige (pictured), and written by Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, and features an ensemble cast. Many of the actors were recognized for their work, including Robert Downey Jr. (seven nominations), Scarlett Johansson (six nominations), Chris Evans (five nominations), and Josh Brolin (five nominations). (Full list...)
Other areas of Wikipedia
- Community portal – Bulletin board, projects, resources and activities covering a wide range of Wikipedia areas.
- Help desk – Ask questions about using Wikipedia.
- Local embassy – For Wikipedia-related communication in languages other than English.
- Reference desk – Serving as virtual librarians, Wikipedia volunteers tackle your questions on a wide range of subjects.
- Site news – Announcements, updates, articles and press releases on Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Village pump – For discussions about Wikipedia itself, including areas for technical issues and policies.