Louis Garrel (born 14 June 1983) is a French actor and filmmaker. He is best known for his starring role in The Dreamers, directed by Bernardo Bertolucci. He has regularly appeared in films by French director Christophe Honoré, including Ma Mère, Dans Paris, Love Songs, The Beautiful Person and Making Plans for Lena. He has also been in films directed by his father, Philippe Garrel, including Regular Lovers, Frontier of the Dawn, A Burning Hot Summer, and Jealousy.
Garrel at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival
|Born||14 June 1983|
|Partner(s)||Valeria Bruni Tedeschi (2007–2012)|
|Relatives||Maurice Garrel (paternal grandfather) Esther Garrel (sister)|
Garrel has also performed in two feature films that were written and directed by him: Les Deux Amis, starring Golshifteh Farahani and Vincent Macaigne; and A Faithful Man, starring Laetitia Casta and Lily-Rose Depp.
He usually plays similar characters such as men in the middle of love triangles or important historical figures such as Jacques de Bascher in Saint Laurent, Jean-Luc Godard in Le Redoutable, and Alfred Dreyfus in An Officer and a Spy. His performances have received many nominations at the César Awards.
He is also known for working with different female directors such as Valeria Bruni Tedeschi, Brigitte Sy, Maïwenn, and Nicole Garcia. In 2019, Garrel performed his first English-speaking role by playing Friedrich Bhaer in Greta Gerwig’s adaptation of Little Women.
Garrel was born in Paris, France, the son of director Philippe Garrel and actress Brigitte Sy, and the brother of actress Esther Garrel. His grandfather, Maurice Garrel, and his godfather, Jean-Pierre Léaud, are also notable French actors. His mother is of Sephardic Jewish descent. He is a graduate of the Conservatoire de Paris.
In 2002, Garrel gained international recognition playing Eva Green's twin brother in The Dreamers. Director Bernardo Bertolucci found him on the first session of casting in Paris. Garrel has since starred in various French films, including Les Amants réguliers (2005), directed by his father Philippe Garrel. He was awarded the César Award for Most Promising Actor for his work in the film.
Garrel has collaborated five times with filmmaker Christophe Honoré in the feature films Ma Mère (2004), an adaptation of the eponymous novel by Georges Bataille starring Isabelle Huppert; Dans Paris (2006), alongside Romain Duris; Love Songs (2007), a film for which he also revealed his talent as a singer; The Beautiful Person (2008); Making Plans for Lena (2009) and finally, Two Friends (2015), where Honoré served as co-writer. He also appeared in Valeria Bruni Tedeschi's Actrices (2007), Rachid Hami's Choisir d'aimer (2008) and Philipe Garrel's Frontier of the Dawn (2008).
In 2008, he launched into directing with his first short film, Mes copains. Two years later, he directed a second short film, Petit Tailleur.
He appeared in Heartbeats, the second film by director Xavier Dolan, released in 2010. In 2011, Garrel directed a third short film, La Règle de trois, with Vincent Macaigne and Golshifteh Farahani, which he presented at the Locarno Festival.
In 2019, Garrel starred in An Officer and a Spy directed by Roman Polanski, which revolved around the Dreyfuss affair. The film had its world premiere at the Venice Film Festival in August 2019, and was released in November 2019. That same year, he starred in Little Women based upon novel of the same name by Louisa May Alcott opposite Saoirse Ronan.
Garrel was in a relationship with Valeria Bruni Tedeschi from 2007 to 2012. She is the elder sister of Carla Bruni, the wife of the former French president, Nicolas Sarkozy. In 2009 Bruni Tedeschi and Garrel adopted a baby from Senegal, whom they named Céline.
|1989||Les Baisers de secours||Lo|
|2001||Ceci est mon corps||Antoine|
|2002||The War in Paris (La Guerre à Paris)|
|2005||Regular Lovers||François Dervieux||César Award for Most Promising Actor|
Etoiles d'Or for Best Male Newcomer
|2006||A Curtain Raiser (Un lever de rideau)||Bruno||Short film|
|2007||Love Songs||Ismaël Bénoliel||Nominated—Globes de Cristal Award for Best Actor|
|2008||Frontier of the Dawn||François|
|2008||The Beautiful Person||Jacques Nemours|
|2009||Making Plans for Lena||Simon|
|2010||Le Mariage à trois||Théo|
|2010||Heartbeats||Guest in the final scene|
|2010||Diarchy||Short film written and directed by Ferdinando Cito Filomarino|
|2011||La Règle de trois||Louis||Short film (also as director and screenwriter)|
Prix Jean Vigo
|2011||A Burning Hot Summer||Frédéric|
|2012||Les coquillettes||Louis Garrel|
|2013||A Castle in Italy||Nathan|
|2014||Saint Laurent||Jacques de Bascher||Nominated—César Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2015||In the Shadow of Women||Narrator (voice)|
|2015||Mon roi||Solal||Nominated—César Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2015||Two Friends||Abel||Also as director and screenwriter|
|2016||From the Land of the Moon||André Sauvage|
|2017||False Confessions||Dorante||TV Movie|
|2017||Redoubtable||Jean-Luc Godard||Nominated—César Award for Best Actor|
Nominated—Lumières Award for Best Actor
|2017||Ismael's Ghosts||Ivan Dedalus|
|2018||Un peuple et son roi||Robespierre|
|2018||At Eternity's Gate||Aurier's Article (voice)|
|2018||A Faithful Man||Abel||Also writer and director|
|2019||An Officer and a Spy||Alfred Dreyfus||Nominated—César Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2019||Little Women||Friedrich Bhaer|
|TBA||The Story of My Wife||Post-production|
|2008||Mes copains||Yes||Yes||Short film|
|2010||Petit Tailleur||Yes||Yes||Short film|
Nominated—César Award for Best Short Film
|2011||La Règle de trois||Yes||Yes||Short film (also as actor)|
|2015||Two Friends||Yes||Yes||Also as actor|
Nominated—Cannes Film Festival - Caméra d'Or
Nominated—Lumières Award for Best First Film
|2018||A Faithful Man||Yes||Yes||Also as actor|
- 2009: Prix Patrick Dewaere
- The Auteurs - Louis Garrel theauteurs.com
- Rozemeyer, Karl. "Louis Garrel - Better in Threes"[permanent dead link] Premiere.com. March 21, 2008. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- Internet Movie Database - Louis Garrel imdb.com
- The Auteurs - Philippe Garrel theauteurs.com
- "Petit Tailleur, le coup de foudre filmé par Louis Garrel". Les Inrocks (in French). 2010-10-06. Retrieved 2020-03-25.
- "Transmissions avec Louis et Philippe Garrel". www.franceinter.fr (in French). Retrieved 2020-03-25.
- Morales, Wilson. "The Dreamers: An Interview with Bernardo Bertolucci", Blackfilm.com. 2004. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- "RFI - Cinéma - Quand l'amour se chante et se pleure". www1.rfi.fr.
- "Louis Garrel confirme ses talents de cinéaste avec Petit tailleur". LExpress.fr. May 21, 2010.
- "Wikiwix's cache". archive.wikiwix.com.
- "Le premier long métrage de Louis Garrel, c'est pour bientôt !". AlloCiné.
- Prieur, Eléonore (June 3, 2014). "Louis Garrel offre un rôle à sa compagne dans Les Deux Amis". Le Figaro.fr.
- Roxborough, Scott (28 September 2018). "Roman Polanski's 'J'Accuse' Is Filmmaker's First in the Post-#MeToo Era". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 3 July 2020.
- Vivarelli, Nick (25 July 2019). "Joker, Ad Astra, The Laundromat, Marriage Story to Compete in Venice". Variety. Retrieved 3 July 2020.
- "J'Accuse". Gaumont Film Company. Retrieved 3 July 2020.
- N'Duka, Amanda (5 September 2018). "Louis Garrel Cast In 'Little Women' Movie At Sony". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 3 July 2020.
- Galuppo, Mia (June 4, 2019). "Woody Allen Sets New Feature With Christoph Waltz, Gina Gershon". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- Roxborough, Scott (3 June 2020). "Cannes 2020 Lineup Unveiled". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 3 June 2020.
- Lemercier, Fabien (9 April 2019). "ldikó Enyedi shooting The Story of My Wife". CineEuropa.org. Retrieved 3 July 2020.
- Boivin, Justine. "Tout oppose les deux sœur", Gala, 14 October 2008. Retrieved April 5, 2010.
- "French Model Laetitia Casta Is Married! Get All the Details on the Secret Ceremony". PEOPLE.com.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Louis Garrel.|