Lorena, São Paulo
Location of Lorena within São Paulo state
|Metropolitan Region||Vale do Paraíba e Litoral Norte|
|• Total||414.16 km2 (159.91 sq mi)|
|Elevation||524 m (1,719 ft)|
|• Density||210/km2 (550/sq mi)|
|• Literacy rate||94.13%|
|Human Development Index|
|• Money Income||0,740|
12600-000 to 12614-999
Lorena is part of the Metropolitan Region of Vale do Paraíba e Litoral Norte. The population is 87,178 (2015 est.) in an area of 414.16 km². The elevation is 524 m, after the political emancipation of Canas, its last district.
The city was originated when a farm was constructed at the end of the 17th century. It became a parish in 1718, a municipality in 1788 and is a city since 1856. The city is now the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Lorena. Its main business areas are industry, services and agro-business. It is also a highlight in region due to its three colleges, including areas from human to exact sciences.
According to the 2010 IBGE Census, the population was 82,553, of which 80,182 are urban and 2,371 are rural. The average life expectancy for the municipality was 70.64 years. The literacy rate was at 94.13%.
- Assembleia Legislativa do Estado de São Paulo, Lei Complementar Nº 1.166
- Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística
- FLONA de Lorena (in Portuguese), ISA: Instituto Socioambiental, retrieved 2016-10-02
- (in Portuguese) http://www.lorena.sp.gov.br
- (in Portuguese) citybrazil.com.br
- (in Portuguese) Lorena on Explorevale
- (in Portuguese) The city of Lorena and several other places in the Vale do Paraíba