The city of Livermore is located in the valley.
In the east of Livermore is the Lawrence Livermore Laboratory. Element 116 on the periodic table, Livermorium, is named after this laboratory. Sandia Laboratory is also located in eastern Livermore.
Due to these laboratories, much of eastern Livermore is off-limits to the general public.
Livermore Valley was named after Robert Livermore, an immigrant American rancher in Mexican Alta California, who with his business partner José Noriega were keeping livestock in the valley since 1834. Livermore and Jose Noriega received the Mexican land grant for Rancho Las Positas, which encompassed the valley, in 1839 from Governor Juan Bautista Alvarado.
In 1847 Noriega and Livermore purchased Rancho Canada de los Vaqueros adjacent to the north of Rancho Las Positas and Livermore Valley in the Diablo Range.
Livermore's name became well known during the California Gold Rush in the late 1840s−early 1850s, for an inn at his adobe ranch house in the valley that served miners and other travelers eastbound on the road from the Bay Area through the Diablo Range's passes to the Mother Lode region in the Sierra Nevada.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Livermore Valley
- "Wineries in Livermore, California (CA) - We have over 50 wineries here in our beautiful valley". www.livermorechamber.org. Retrieved 2017-12-06.
- "Facts About Livermorium". Live Science. Retrieved 2017-12-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to |
|This Alameda County, California–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|