Little Richard's Greatest Hits: Recorded Live!
|Little Richard's Greatest Hits - Recorded Live!|
|Live album by|
|Recorded||25 January 1967|
|Genre||Rock and roll|
|Little Richard chronology|
Richard wished at the time Okeh would not release this album as it favored horns over rhythm. In his 1984, biography he noted (, page 130) "I was in the second year of the Okey (sic) contract and there was still no hit record. So I tore it up. The contract gave me no say in the material I recorded with them or in what was released. Larry Williams was the worst producer in the world. He wanted me to copy Motown and I was no Motown artist. [...] The Okeh stuff didn't sell at all because Okeh was an R'n'B label - a black label. I should have recorded on the Epic label, because I'm not primarily a black artist. It would have done a lot better."
'Poor Dog' made No. 41 on the R&B chart and 'Commandments of Love' made No. 30 on The Cash Box Black Singles chart. All Okeh 45's are highly regarded in Europe where they were released on the Epic label.
After the recording sessions for this album, (actually the result of Richard’s manager, Bumps Blackwell’s effort to convince European fans to petition Okeh Records to cut a live album), Richard recorded three more tracks for Okeh on May 17, 1967, one issued in 2004 ('Golden Arrow'), leaving the other two unreleased; then recorded six tracks in New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago for the Brunswick Records label late in 1967 and in 1968. The Brunswick tracks were released between December '67 - September '68, none of which were hits. Meanwhile, Little Richard saw out 1967 with an appearance in the film Catalina Caper.
From this point on Richard was out of the recording studios, not returning until March 1970 with the Reprise Records label.
- "Lucille" (Albert Collins, Richard Penniman) - 2:30
- "The Girl Can't Help It" (Bobby Troup) – 1:34
- "Tutti Frutti" (Dorothy LaBostrie, Richard Penniman) – 1:29
- "Send Me Some Lovin'" (John Marascalco, Leo Price) – 2:48
- "Get Down With It (aka Do The Jerk)" (Richard Penniman) – 6:24
- "Long Tall Sally" (Enotris Johnson, Robert Blackwell, Richard Penniman) – 1:43
- "True Fine Mama" (Richard Penniman) – 3:04
- "Jenny, Jenny" (Enotris Johnson, Richard Penniman) – 1:55
- "Good Golly Miss Molly" (John Marascalco, Robert Blackwell) – 2:37
- "Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On" (Dave Williams, Sunny David) – 3:03
- "Baby What You Want Me to Do" (listed as "Anyway You Want Me") (Jimmy Reed) – 2:54
- "Don't Fight It" (listed as "You Gotta Feel It") (Cropper / Pickett) – 4:22
- “The Scratch” (James Brown instrumental , unlisted)
- Little Richard – vocals, piano
- Billy Preston - organ
- Eddie Fletcher - bass
- Glenn Willings - guitar
- Johnny "Guitar" Watson – guitar
Drummer unknown; no records kept by Okeh
|1967||Billboard Pop Albums||#184 Pop; #28 Black Albums|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Little Richard's Greatest Hits: Recorded Live!.|