List of mountain lakes of Switzerland
This is a list of high-altitude lakes in Switzerland. It includes all significant lakes, natural or artificial, with an area over 4 hectares and a height over 800 metres above sea level. This height approximately corresponds to the transition between the foothill zone and the montane zone, in the Alps and in the Jura Mountains. Lakes can be found up to elevations of almost 3000 metres, where is the climatic snow line in the Alps. For each lake, the culminating point of the drainage basin is indicated, along with the river basin of which it is part.
Distribution of mountain lakes by cantonEdit
Notes and referencesEdit
- "Zone altitudinali di vegetazione". Ticino.ch. Archived from the original on 2014-06-18. Retrieved 2014-06-18.
- Maximum elevation. Retrieved from the Swisstopo topographic maps (1:25,000)
- VECTOR25 Primary surfaces (Swisstopo)  (areas with one decimal were retrieved from Google Earth)
- Topographical catchment areas of Swiss waterbodies (Federal Office for the Environment FOEN) . This corresponds in most cases to the highest mountain overlooking the lake. Basin highest points that are over 10 kilometres from the lake are indicated in italics.
- "Niveau des lacs". Groupe E SA. Archived from the original on 2014-06-10. Retrieved 2014-06-26.