List of astronomy awards
This list of astronomy awards is an index to articles about notable awards for contributions to astronomy. The list is organized by region and country of the sponsoring organization, but awards are not necessarily limited to people from that country.
|Petrie Prize Lecture||Canadian Astronomical Society||Canada||Outstanding astrophysicist|
|National Prize for Exact Sciences||National Prize for Sciences||Chile||E.g. Astronomy, physics, mathematics|
|Annie Jump Cannon Award in Astronomy||American Astronomical Society||United States||Woman resident of North America, within five years of receipt of a Ph.D., for distinguished contributions to astronomy or for similar contributions in related sciences which have immediate application to astronomy|
|Barringer Medal||Meteoritical Society||United States||Outstanding work in the field of impact cratering and/or work that has led to a better understanding of impact phenomena|
|Beatrice M. Tinsley Prize||American Astronomical Society||United States||Outstanding research contribution to astronomy or astrophysics of an exceptionally creative or innovative character|
|Brouwer Award||Division on Dynamical Astronomy, American Astronomical Society||United States||Outstanding lifetime achievement in the field of dynamical astronomy|
|Bruce Medal||Astronomical Society of the Pacific||United States||Outstanding lifetime contributions to astronomy|
|Bruno Rossi Prize||High Energy Astrophysics division, American Astronomical Society||United States||Significant contribution to High Energy Astrophysics, with particular emphasis on recent, original work|
|Carl Sagan Medal||Division for Planetary Sciences, American Astronomical Society||United States||Outstanding communication by an active planetary scientist to the general public|
|Carl Sagan Memorial Award||American Astronautical Society / The Planetary Society||United States||Leadership in research or policies advancing exploration of the Cosmos|
|Chambliss Amateur Achievement Award||American Astronomical Society||United States||Achievement in astronomical research made by an amateur astronomer resident in North America|
|Chambliss Astronomical Writing Award||American Astronomical Society||United States||For astronomy writing for an academic audience|
|Clifford W. Holmes Award||RTMC Astronomy Expo||United States||Individual for a significant contribution to popularizing astronomy|
|Dannie Heineman Prize for Astrophysics||American Astronomical Society / American Institute of Physics||United States||Outstanding work in astrophysics|
|Edgar Wilson Award||Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory||United States||Amateur comet discoverers|
|George Ellery Hale Prize||Solar Physics Division, American Astronomical Society||United States||Outstanding contributions over an extended period of time to the field of solar astronomy|
|George Van Biesbroeck Prize||American Astronomical Society||United States||Long-term extraordinary or unselfish service to astronomy, often beyond the requirements of his or her paid position|
|Gerard P. Kuiper Prize||Division for Planetary Sciences, American Astronomical Society||United States||Outstanding lifetime achievement in the field of planetary science|
|Gordon A. McKay Award||Meteoritical Society||United States||Student who gives the best oral presentation at its annual meeting|
|Gordon Myers Amateur Achievement Award||Astronomical Society of the Pacific||United States||Significant contributions to astronomy or amateur astronomy by those not employed in the field of astronomy in a professional capacity|
|Gruber Prize in Cosmology||Gruber Foundation / International Astronomical Union||United States||Discoveries leading to fundamental advances in our understanding of the universe|
|Harold C. Urey Prize||Division for Planetary Sciences, American Astronomical Society||United States||Outstanding achievements in planetary science by a young scientist|
|Helen B. Warner Prize for Astronomy||American Astronomical Society||United States||Young astronomer (aged less than 36, or within 8 years of the award of their PhD) for a significant contribution to observational or theoretical astronomy|
|Henry Draper Medal||National Academy of Sciences||United States||For investigations in astronomical physics|
|Henry Norris Russell Lectureship||American Astronomical Society||United States||Lifetime of excellence in astronomical research|
|J. Lawrence Smith Medal||National Academy of Sciences||United States||Investigations of meteoric bodies|
|James Craig Watson Medal||National Academy of Sciences||United States||Contributions to astronomy|
|Jessberger Award||Meteoritical Society||United States||Outstanding research by a mid-career, female isotope geochemist|
|Jonathan Eberhart Planetary Sciences Journalism Award||Division for Planetary Sciences||United States||Recognize and stimulate distinguished popular writing on planetary sciences|
|Joseph Weber Award for Astronomical Instrumentation||American Astronomical Society||United States||Design, invention or significant improvement of instrumentation leading to advances in astronomy|
|Karen Harvey Prize||American Astronomical Society||United States||Significant contribution to the study of the Sun early in a person's professional career|
|Klumpke-Roberts Award||Astronomical Society of the Pacific||United States||Outstanding contributions to the public understanding and appreciation of astronomy|
|LeRoy E. Doggett Prize||American Astronomical Society||United States||Individuals who have significantly influenced the field of the history of astronomy by a career-long effort|
|Leonard Medal||Meteoritical Society||United States||Outstanding contributions to the science of meteoritics and closely allied fields|
|Leslie C. Peltier Award||Astronomical League||United States||Amateur astronomer who has contributed observations of lasting significance|
|Marc Aaronson Memorial Lectureship||University of Arizona||United States||Individual or group who ... has produced a body of work in observational astronomy which has resulted in a significant deepening of our understanding of the universe|
|Marcel Grossmann Award||International Center for Relativistic Astrophysics||Rome, Italy||Institutions and individuals who have made extraordinary contributions to astrophysics.|
|Masursky Award||Division for Planetary Sciences, American Astronomical Society||United States||Outstanding service to planetary science and exploration through engineering, managerial, programmatic, or public service activities|
|Meteoritical Society's Service Award||Meteoritical Society||United States||Promote research and education in meteoritics and planetary science in ways other than by conducting scientific research|
|Newton Lacy Pierce Prize in Astronomy||American Astronomical Society||United States||Young (less than age 36) astronomer for outstanding achievement in observational astronomical research|
|Nier Prize||Meteoritical Society||United States||Outstanding research in meteoritics and closely allied fields by young scientists|
|Nininger Meteorite Award||Center for Meteorite Studies, Arizona State University||United States||Outstanding student achievement in the “Science of Meteoritics” as embodied by an original research paper|
|Paul Pellas-Graham Ryder Award||Meteoritical Society, Geological Society of America||United States||Best planetary science paper, published in a peer-reviewed scientific journal, and written by an undergraduate or graduate student (as first author)|
|Richard H. Emmons Award||Astronomical Society of the Pacific||United States||Outstanding achievement in teaching college-level introductory astronomy classes for non-science majors.|
|Rittenhouse Medal||Rittenhouse Astronomical Society||United States||Outstanding achievement in the science of Astronomy|
|Robert J. Trumpler Award||Astronomical Society of the Pacific||United States||Recent recipient of the Ph.D degree whose thesis is judged particularly significant to astronomy|
|Vera Rubin Early Career Prize||Division on Dynamical Astronomy of the American Astronomical Society||United States||Excellence in dynamical astronomy|
|Whipple Award||Planetary Sciences Section, American Geophysical Union||United States||Outstanding contribution to the field of planetary science|
|Aryabhata Award||Astronautical Society of India||India||Notable lifetime contributions in the field of astronautics and aerospace technology in India|
|Kyoto Prize in Basic Sciences||Inamori Foundation||Japan||Earth and planetary sciences, astronomy and astrophysics (one of four prizes)|
|Shaw Prize||Shaw Prize Foundation||Hong Kong||Outstanding contributions in astronomy, life science and medicine, and mathematical sciences|
|Paolo Farinella Prize||Europlanet Society, European Science Foundation||Europe||Significant contributions in the fields of planetary sciences, space geodesy, fundamental physics, science popularization, security in space, weapons control, and disarmament|
|Tycho Brahe Prize||European Astronomical Society||Europe||Pioneering development or exploitation of European astronomical instrumentation, or major discoveries based largely on such instruments|
|Fritz Zwicky Prize for Astrophysics and Cosmology||European Astronomical Society||Europe||Those who have obtained fundamental and outstanding results related to astrophysics and/or cosmology|
|Janssen Medal||French Academy of Sciences||France||Those who have made advances in astrophysics|
|Lalande Prize||French Academy of Sciences||France||Scientific advances in astronomy (given from 1802 until 1970)|
|Prix Guzman||French Academy of Sciences||France||Person who succeeded in communicating with a celestial body, other than Mars, and receiving a response|
|Prix Jules Janssen||Société astronomique de France||France||French astronomer or astronomer of another nationality in recognition of astronomical work in general, or for services rendered to Astronomy|
|Valz Prize||French Academy of Sciences||France||Advances in astronomy (given from 1877 until 1970)|
|Karl Schwarzschild Medal||Astronomische Gesellschaft||Germany||Eminent astronomers and astrophysicists|
|Ludwig Biermann Award||Astronomische Gesellschaft||Germany||Outstanding young astronomer|
|Kavli Prize||Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters||Norway||Outstanding contributions in Astrophysics (one of three prizes)|
|Friedmann Prize||Russian Academy of Sciences||Russia||Outstanding work in cosmology and gravity.|
|Balzan Prize||International Balzan Prize Foundation||Switzerland||Outstanding achievements in the fields of humanities, natural sciences, culture, as well as for endeavours for peace and the brotherhood of man|
|Eddington Medal||Royal Astronomical Society||United Kingdom||Investigations of outstanding merit in theoretical astrophysics|
|George Darwin Lectureship||Royal Astronomical Society||United Kingdom||Distinguished and eloquent speaker on the subject of Astronomy including astrochemistry, astrobiology and astroparticle physics|
|Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society||Royal Astronomical Society||United Kingdom||Achievement in astronomy or geophysics|
|Herschel Medal||Royal Astronomical Society||United Kingdom||Investigations of outstanding merit in observational astrophysics|
|Jackson-Gwilt Medal||Royal Astronomical Society||United Kingdom||Invention, improvement, or development of astronomical instrumentation or techniques; achievement in observational astronomy|
|Price Medal||Royal Astronomical Society||United Kingdom||Investigations of outstanding merit in solid-earth geophysics, oceanography, or planetary sciences|
|Tyson Medal||University of Cambridge||United Kingdom||Student award for best proficient in Mathematics and Astronomy|
|Bok Prize||Astronomical Society of Australia / Australian Academy of Science||Australia||Outstanding research in astronomy by an honours student at an Australian university|
- Canadian Astronomical Society website
- "Ley 16746: Crea Premio Nacional de Ciencia" [Law 16746: Creates National Prize for Science] (in Spanish). Ministry of Education. 14 February 1968. Retrieved 8 December 2017 – via Library of the National Congress of Chile.
- AAS Annie Jump Cannon Award in Astronomy Archived 2015-09-09 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- "Awards". The Meteoritical Society. Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Grants and Prizes". American Astronomical Society. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- "The DDA/AAS Brouwer Award". American Astronomical Society/Division on Dynamical Astronomy. Retrieved 2014-12-05.
- "Annual Awards". Astronomical Society of the Pacific. Retrieved 25 October 2019.
- "Rossi prize". High Energy Astrophysics Division, American Astronomical Society. Archived from the original on 2013-12-19. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- "Sagan Medal DPS Prizes". American Astronomical Society. Retrieved January 25, 2011.
- Carl Sagan Memorial Award, American Astronautical Society, retrieved 2020-02-14
- Chambliss Amateur Achievement Award, American Astronomical Society, retrieved 2014-12-20
- Fienberg, Richard Tresch (2006-09-12), New AAS Award for Backyard Research, Sky and Telescope, retrieved 2009-03-22
- Chambliss Astronomical Writing Award, American Astronomical Society, retrieved 2014-12-20
- "Clifford W. Holmes Award". RTMC Astronomy Expo. Archived from the original on 24 October 2006. Retrieved 27 December 2016.
- Dannie Heineman Prize for Astrophysics, retrieved 20 October 2019
- "The Edgar Wilson Award". IAU Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams. 24 September 2007. Archived from the original on 24 October 2010. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "The Edgar Wilson Award Recipients". IAU Central Bureau for Astronomical Telegrams. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- J. Kelly Beatty (23 August 2009). "The Edgar Wilson Award". SkyandTelescope.com. Retrieved 21 September 2012.
- "SPD Hale Prize Citations". AAS. Archived from the original on 2013-08-13. Retrieved 2009-10-06.
- "George Van Biesbroeck Prize". Archived from the original on 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2012-01-02.
- Charles W. Carey (1 January 2006). American Scientists. Infobase Publishing. pp. 211–. ISBN 978-1-4381-0807-0. Retrieved 17 August 2013.
- "Awards". The Meteoritical Society. Retrieved 2017-06-08.
- "Amateur Achievement Award of Astronomical Society of the Pacific". Astronomical Society of the Pacific. Archived from the original on July 13, 2007. Retrieved August 5, 2007.
- "2008 ASP Award Recipients Press Release" (Press release). Astronomical Society of the Pacific. Retrieved November 22, 2009.
- Bracher, Katherine (September–October 1989), "16. New People, New Awards, New Approaches" (PDF), Centennial History of the Astronomical Society of the Pacific (PDF), Astronomical Society of the Pacific, p. 34, retrieved November 21, 2009
- Gruber Prizes : Cosmology, Gruber Foundation, retrieved 2020-02-14
- "Harold C. Urey Prize in Planetary Science". Division of Planetary Sciences of the American Astronomical Association. Retrieved 2015-01-12.
- "AAS Grants, Prizes & Awards: Helen B. Warner Prize for Astronomy". Archived from the original on 2013-01-18. Retrieved 2011-10-18.
- Scientific American. Scientific American Inc. 1887. p. 208.
- A History of the Half-Century of the National Academy of Sciences 1863-1913. Committee on the Preparation of the Semi-Centennial Volume. 1913. p. 346.
- "Henry Draper Medal". United States National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 2015-08-11.
- "National Academy of Sciences Honors NASA's Neil Gehrels for Science Contributions". NASA. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- "Academy Honors 17 for Major Contributions to Science". United States National Academies. Retrieved 2011-05-28.
- Devorkin, David H. (2000), Henry Norris Russell: dean of American astronomers, Princeton University Press, p. 276, ISBN 0691049181
- "J. Lawrence Smith Medal". National Academy of Sciences. Archived from the original on 27 May 2016. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- "James Craig Watson Medal". National Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 11 August 2015.
- "Jessberger Award for 2021". Meteoritical Society. August 19, 2020. Retrieved August 22, 2020.
- "The Jonathan Eberhart Planetary Sciences Journalism Award". Division for Planetary Sciences. American Astronomical Society. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Janet Raloff (October 8, 2009). "Award named for late Science News writer". Science and the Public. Science News. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Joseph Weber Award for Astronomical Instrumentation". American Astronomical Society. Archived from the original on 16 December 2014. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- Gurman, J.B. (July 22, 2013). "Previous winners of the Karen Harvey Prize". aas.org. Archived from the original on May 26, 2016.
- "Klumpke-Roberts Award". Astronomical Society of the Pacific. Retrieved 18 February 2020.
- "Doggett Prize | Historical Astronomy Division". 2019-03-23. Archived from the original on 2019-03-23. Retrieved 2019-03-23.
- "Awards". The Meteoritical Society. Retrieved 2018-10-29.
- "Peltier Award". Astronomical League. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "MARC A. AARONSON, ASTRONOMER, KILLED BY REVOLVING DOME". NY Times. 2 May 1987.
- "I.C.R.A. Network - Marcel Grossmann Awards". www.icranet.org. Retrieved 2020-09-01.
- "Harold Masursky Award for Meritorious Service to Planetary Science". American Astronomical Society. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "Awards". The Meteoritical Society. Archived from the original on 5 December 2012.
- "Newton Lacy Pierce Prize in Astronomy". American Astronomical Society. Archived from the original on 2013-02-11. Retrieved 2008-04-02.
- "The Nier Prize". Meteoritical Society. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- Nininger Meteorite Award, Arizona State University, retrieved 2020-02-14
- "Awards". Meteoritical Society. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- The Richard H. Emmons Award for Excellence in College Astronomy Teaching at www.astrosociety.org.
- Rittenhouse Medal Award, Rittenhouse Astronomical Society, retrieved 2020-02-14
- Robert J. Trumpler Award for an Outstanding PhD Thesis at the Astronomical Society of the Pacific website
- "Vera Rubin Early Career Prize". AAS. Retrieved 9 November 2019.
- "Fred Whipple Award". American Geophysical Union. Retrieved 15 October 2017.
- "Astronautical Society awards space scientists". thehindubusinessline.com. 23 June 2015. Archived from the original on 9 June 2018.
- "DRDO Chief gets prestigious Aryabhatta award". zeenews.india.com. 28 May 2013. Archived from the original on 9 June 2018.
- "Claude Elwood Shannon". Retrieved 17 June 2016.
- "Kyoto Prize honors achievement and character". USA Today. 11 November 2006. Retrieved 12 October 2014.
- "Introduction". shawprize.org. Retrieved December 10, 2010.
- "Paolo Farinella Prize". Lunar and Planetary Institute. Retrieved 21 October 2016.
- "Tycho Brahe Prize". European Astronomical Society. Retrieved 21 December 2014.
- "Fritz Zwicky Prize website". Retrieved 2020-03-06.
- (in French) Les Prix Thematiques en Sciences de l'Univers Archived 24 November 2009 at the Wayback Machine, French Academy of Sciences website, accessed 23/01/2011
- "Prix et Subventions Attribués en 1950: Astronomie". Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires des Séances de l'Académie des Sciences. 231: 1365–1366. December 11, 1950.
- "Prix et Subventions Attribués en 1970: Astronomie et Physique du Globe". Comptes Rendus Hebdomadaires des Séances de l'Académie des Sciences. 271: 106–107. December 14, 1970.
- pp. 2-7 (minutes of meeting), Transactions of the New York Academy of Sciences, series I, 11 (October–November 1891; issue 1-2), doi:10.1111/j.2164-0947.1891.tb01835.x.
- S. A. F. (1979), "Prix et Médailles décernés par la Société depuis sa fondation", L'Astronomie, 93: 543, Bibcode:1979LAstr..93..543S, retrieved 2020-02-14
- Ernest Maindron (1880). "Les Fondations de Prix à l'Académie des Sciences". La Revue Scientifique. 26–27: 87–88.
- l'Académie des Sciences. Florence Greffe (ed.). "Membres de l'Académie des sciences depuis sa création: Joseph-Jérôme Lefrançois de Lalande". Archived from the original on 2013-02-25. Retrieved 2015-03-08.
- "Awards by the AG". Astronomische Gesellschaft. Archived from the original on 2014-12-21. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "Recipients of the Karl Schwarzschild Medal". Archived from the original on 17 May 2019.
- "Awards by the AG". Retrieved 2012-06-16.
- "2016 Kavli Prize in Astrophysics | www.kavliprize.org". www.kavliprize.org. Retrieved 2016-06-02.
- "КОНКУРСЫ" [COMPETITIONS] (doc). Russian Academy of Sciences (in Russian). 1974. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
Академия наук СССР объявила конкурс на соискание премии им. А. А. Фридмана в размере 2000 руб., присуждаемой советским ученым за лучшие научные работы в области метеорологии. [The Academy of Sciences of the USSR announced a competition for the A. A. Friedman Prize in the amount of 2000 rubles, awarded to Soviet scientists for the best scientific work in the field of meteorology.]
- "Постановление Президиума Российская Академии Наук от 23 февраля 1993 г. №47, О золотых медалях и премиях имени выдающихся ученых, присуждаемых Российской академией наук" [Decree of the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences of February 23, 1993 No. 47, On gold medals and prizes named after outstanding scientists awarded by the Russian Academy of Sciences]. Russian Academy of Sciences (in Russian). 23 February 1993. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- "Balzan Prize". Science. 293 (5539): 2383b–2383. 2001-09-28. doi:10.1126/science.293.5539.2383b. S2CID 220091680.
- "Balzan Prizes". Science. 329 (5998): 1449. 2010-09-17. doi:10.1126/science.329.5998.1449-c. ISSN 0036-8075.
- Eddington Medal, Royal Astronomical Society, retrieved 2020-02-14
- "The George Darwin Lectures" (PDF). Ras.ac.uk. Retrieved 9 November 2018.
- "George Darwin Lectureship". Royal Astronomical Society. Retrieved 2013-01-08..
- "Gold Medal (A)". RAS. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "Gold Medal Winners" (PDF). RAS. 2019. Retrieved 15 July 2019.
"Winners of the Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society". RAS. 2012. Retrieved 9 January 2015.
- "Awards, Medals and Prizes - Herschel Medal". RAS. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- "Herschel Medal Winners" (PDF). RAS. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Webb, Annette. "Agnes Mary Clerke Medal for Historical Research in Astronomy or Geophysics". www.ras.org.uk. Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "RAS Awards, Medals & Prizes - Price Medal". Royal Astronomical Society. Retrieved 2019-09-28.
- "Statute E, Trust Emoluments, Chapter IV, The Tyson Fund". UK: Cambridge University. 2008. Retrieved 23 June 2009.
- The Bok Prize Archived October 6, 2014, at the Wayback Machine
- "The Bok Prize". Astronomical Society of Australia. Retrieved 19 December 2016.