List of Roman wars and battles
8th century BCEdit
7th century BCEdit
6th century BCEdit
5th century BCEdit
4th century BCEdit
- Battle of Allia River (390 BC) – Gauls defeat the Romans, then sack Rome.
3rd century BCEdit
2nd century BCEdit
- Battle of Placentia (194 BC) – Roman victory over the Boian Gauls
- Battle of Mutina (193 BC) – Roman victory over the Boii, decisively ending the Boian threat.
- Aetolian War (191-189 BC)
- First Servile War (135-132 BC)
- Second Servile War (104-103 BC)
1st century BCEdit
- Battle of the Teutoburg Forest (9) – German leader Arminius ambushes three Roman legions under Publius Quinctilius Varus.
- Battle of the Weser River (16) - Legions under Germanicus defeat German tribes of Arminius.
The 4th century begins with civil war resulting in the ascendancy of Constantine I, then, after his death, wars with Persia and Germanic tribes, punctuated frequently with more civil wars.
- Civil War – 366 – Battle of Thyatira – The army of the Roman emperor Valens defeats the usurper Procopius.
- Civil War – 432 – Battle of Ravenna – Bonifacius defeats rival Roman general Flavius Aetius, but is mortally wounded in the process.
- War with Visigoths – 436 – Battle of Narbonne – Flavius Aetius again defeats the Visigoths led by Theodoric.
- Jones, Jim. "ROMAN HISTORY TIMELINE". courses.wcupa.edu. West Chester University of Pennsylvania, 2013. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- Bennett, J. Trajan: Optimus Princeps. 1997. Fig. 1
- Jones, Jim, (2013). Roman History Timeline. West Chester University of Pennsylvania. http://courses.wcupa.edu/jones/Roman History Timeline .