Quarter of Berlin
Gymnasium Carl Zeiss
|• Total||10.1 km2 (3.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||50 m (160 ft)|
|• Density||4,900/km2 (13,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
(nr. 0706) 12305, 12307, 12309
The locality was first mentioned in 1375, named Lichtenrode. Autonomous Prussian municipality of the former Teltow district, Lichtenrade was incorporated into Berlin in 1920, with the "Greater Berlin Act". During World War II, a branch of the Sachsenhausen concentration camp was located in this locality. After 1941, prisoners of war from Ukraine were interned in the camp. During the Cold War it was a part of West Berlin bordering with East Germany. Its long boundary with Brandenburg was surrounded by the Berlin Wall from 1961 to 1989.
Located in the southern suburb of Berlin, it is one of the southernmost areas of the city, largely bounded by the Brandenburger municipalities of Schönefeld (Dahme-Spreewald district), Blankenfelde-Mahlow and Großbeeren (both in Teltow-Fläming district). It borders with the Berliner localities of Marienfelde, Mariendorf and Buckow (this one in the district of Neukölln).
The former malthouse
- List of subcamps of Sachsenhausen on www.jewishgen.org
- (in German) Detailed history of Lichtenrade on "Kirchgemeinde Lichtenrade" portal
- Meaning "Mother Earth"
- (in German) Biography of Kalus Wowereit
Media related to Lichtenrade at Wikimedia Commons