This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2006) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Adm. region||Upper Franconia|
|• Total||552 km2 (213 sq mi)|
(31 December 2018)
|• Density||120/km2 (310/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
In medieval times the Main river was a border between the two main states possessing lands in this territory: the Bishopric of Bamberg, and the County of Andechs. The castle of Lichtenfels was property of Andechs, which later fell under the Duchy of Merania. In 1248 the Dukes of Merania became extinct, and the entire region was annexed by the clerical state of Bamberg. In 1803 the clerical states of Germany were dissolved, and the Bishopric of Bamberg fell to Bavaria.
The district was established in 1972 by merging the former districts of Lichtenfels and Staffelstein.
Coat of armsEdit
|Yellow and blue were the colours of Andechs resp. Merania. The bishopric of Bamberg is symbolised by the heraldic lion of Bamberg. On the left side there are the orb and the crown of the Holy Roman Empire.|
Towns and municipalitiesEdit
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). July 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Landkreis Lichtenfels.|
- Official website (German)