libvirt is an open-source API, daemon and management tool for managing platform virtualization. It can be used to manage KVM, Xen, VMware ESXi, QEMU and other virtualization technologies. These APIs are widely used in the orchestration layer of hypervisors in the development of a cloud-based solution.
|Initial release||December 19, 2005|
7.0.0 / 15 January 2021
|Operating system||Linux, FreeBSD, Windows, macOS|
|License||GNU Lesser General Public License|
- LXC – lightweight Linux container system
- OpenVZ – lightweight Linux container system
- Kernel-based Virtual Machine/QEMU (KVM) – open-source hypervisor for Linux and SmartOS
- Xen – bare-metal hypervisor
- User-mode Linux (UML) – paravirtualized kernel
- VirtualBox – hypervisor by Oracle (formerly by Sun) for Windows, Linux, macOS, and Solaris
- VMware ESXi and GSX – hypervisors for Intel hardware
- VMware Workstation and Player – hypervisors for Windows and Linux
- Hyper-V – hypervisor for Windows by Microsoft
- PowerVM – hypervisor by IBM for AIX, Linux and IBM i
- Bhyve – hypervisor for FreeBSD 10+ (support added with libvirt 1.2.2)
Various virtualization programs and platforms use libvirt. Virtual Machine Manager, GNOME Boxes and others provide graphical interfaces. The most popular command line interface is virsh, and higher level tools such as oVirt.
Development of libvirt is backed by Red Hat, with significant contributions by other organisations and individuals. libvirt is available on most Linux distributions; remote servers are also accessible from Apple Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows clients.
- "0.0.1: Dec 19 2005". libvirt. 2017-06-16. Retrieved 2017-06-16.
- "libvirt releases". libvirt. 2021-01-15. Retrieved 2021-01-16.
- "libvirt home page description".
- "Python bindings".
- "Perl bindings".
- "OCaml bindings".
- "Ruby bindings".
- "Java bindings".
- "Node.js module".
- "PHP bindings".
- "The Observation Deck » KVM on illumos".
- "bhyve - FreeBSD Wiki". wiki.freebsd.org.
- "oVirt Virtualization Management Platform".
- "Innovation Without Disruption: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.4 Now Available".
- "Windows availability".