The Lianghekou Dam (meaning: "mouth of two rivers") is a concrete-face rock-fill dam currently under construction on the Yalong River in Yajiang County, Sichuan Province, China. The dam is located at the confluence of the Yalong, Xianshui and Qingda Rivers. The 295 m (968 ft) tall dam will be the highest embankment dam in the country and support a 3,000 MW power station. Studies for the dam were completed between 2005 and 2009 with preliminary construction beginning that year. Major works on the dam officially began in October 2014. The first generator is expected to be commissioned in 2021 and the project complete in 2023.
|Location||Yajiang County, Sichuan Province|
|Opening date||2021 (est.)|
|Owner(s)||Ertan Hydropower Development Company, Ltd|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Embankment, concrete-face rock-fill|
|Height||295 m (968 ft)|
|Length||650 m (2,133 ft)|
|Total capacity||10,767,000,000 m3 (8,728,949 acre⋅ft)|
|Catchment area||65,200 km2 (25,174 sq mi)|
|Commission date||2021-2023 (est.)|
|Turbines||6 x 500 MW Francis-type|
|Installed capacity||3,000 MW|
When the dam's reservoir fills, it will force the relocation of over 4,900 people.
- "Lianghekou Hydroelectric Project". Ertan Hydropower Development Company, Ltd. Archived from the original on 13 March 2012. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Yalong River Hydropower Station Tender Notice" (in Chinese). CIEDR. 2009-12-22. Retrieved 29 January 2011.
- "Lianghekou Hydropower Station" (in Chinese). Changjiang Water Resources Commission Ministry of Water Resources. Retrieved 29 January 2011.[permanent dead link]
- "Tibetan largest hydropower invest 66.4 billion total in Ganzi start" (in Chinese). Sichuan Online. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
- Yunhua, Chen (2004). "HYDROELECTRIC EXPLOITATION AND SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT OF THE YALONG RIVE" (PDF). UNHYDRO. Retrieved 29 January 2011.