|Born||Lesley Naa Norle Lokko|
|Occupation||Architect, academic, novelist|
|Alma mater||University College London|
Early life and educationEdit
Lesley Lokko was born in Dundee, the daughter of a Ghanaian surgeon and a Scottish Jewish mother, and grew up in Ghana and Scotland. At the age of 17 she went to a private boarding school in England. She began studying Hebrew and Arabic at Oxford University, but left the programme to go to the United States. She graduated from the Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London, with a BSc(Arch) in 1992, and an March in 1995, and went on to earn a PhD in Architecture from the University of London in 2007.
Much of Lokko's writing contains themes about cultural and racial identity. She regularly lectures in South Africa, and has also taught in the United Kingdom and the United States. She also writes regularly for The Architectural Review. She is currently Head of the Graduate School and Associate Professor of Architecture at the University of Johannesburg.
Selected published worksEdit
- 2000: White Papers, Black Marks: Race, Culture, Architecture
- 2004: Sundowners
- 2005: Saffron Skies
- 2008: Bitter Chocolate
- 2009: Rich Girl, Poor Girl
- 2010: One Secret Summer
- 2011: A Private Affair
- 2012: An Absolute Deception
- 2014: Little White Lies
- 2000: White Papers, Black Marks: Architecture, Race, Culture
- Lesley Naa Norle Lokko Archived 23 July 2010 at the Wayback Machine, Pan African Writers' Association.
- "About Lesley", Official website
- "Lesley Lokko’s books are worth the weight", The Scotsman, 11 July 2012.
- "Lesley Lokko talks to Danuta Kean about how to write a blockbuster". Orion Publishing Group.
- Mendes-Franco, Janine, "‘They can’t duck the question of decolonisation and transformation anymore’", Global Voices, 24 July 2018.
- Lesley Lokko profile at The Conversation.
- Kean, Danuta (18 January 2008). "Lesley Lokko: 'Don't ask me about 'black culture', I don't know what it is'", The Independent.
- Lesley Lokko at The Architectural Review.
- Lesley Lokko Archived 20 July 2019 at the Wayback Machine, Academic biography.
- "UJ’s Head of the Graduate School of Architecture, Prof Lesley Lokko, provides mentorship on Made in SA TV Show", University of Johannesburg, 2 August 2018.
- Rich Girl, Poor Girl (Hardback) - Lesley Lokko Archived 22 February 2012 at the Wayback Machine, Orion Publishing Group.
- One Secret Summer at Amazon.