Lee Hall Mansion
Lee Hall or Lee Hall Mansion is a historic brick plantation house that was built during the period from 1848 to 1859. The community of Lee Hall, Virginia is named for it. The house and village are located near the junction of U.S. 60 and VA 238, in Newport News, Virginia.
Lee Hall, October 2007
|Location||Near jct. of U.S. 60 and VA 238, Newport News, Virginia|
|Area||12.29 acres (4.97 ha)|
|Architectural style||Mixed (more Than 2 Styles From Different Periods)|
|NRHP reference No.||72001510 |
|Added to NRHP||December 5, 1972|
|Designated VLR||August 15, 1972|
The current 12.29-acre (4.97 ha) property was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. The listed property includes two contributing buildings: The Main House (open to the public) and the former Kitchen (closed to public, used as staff offices).
The house as well as the nearby community of Lee Hall were named for Richard Decatur Lee the original owner and builder of Lee Hall Mansion. Lee was a prominent local planter. Despite having the same last name as Virginia native and Confederate general Robert E. Lee, a direct lineage to General Lee cannot be traced. Lee Hall Mansion was used as headquarters for Confederate generals Joseph E. Johnston and John B. Magruder during the Peninsula Campaign of the American Civil War in 1862. Nearby is Endview Plantation, a 238-year-old house. Endview was used as a hospital during the Civil War and as a campground during the Revolutionary War, the War of 1812 and the Civil War.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- "Virginia Landmarks Register". Virginia Department of Historic Resources. Retrieved 19 March 2013.
- "Newport News Assessment of Lee Hall Mansion Property".
- National Register nomination form
- Two photos accompanying National Register nomination
Media related to Lee Hall Mansion at Wikimedia Commons
- Lee Hall Mansion - official site
|This article about a property in Newport News, Virginia on the National Register of Historic Places is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|