Leader of the Christian Democratic Union
The Leader of the Christian Democratic Union (Vorsitzender der Christlich Demokratischen Union) is the most senior political figure within the Christian Democratic Union of Germany. Since 16 January 2021, the office has been held by Armin Laschet, who succeeded Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer.
|Leader of the Christian Democratic Union
Vorsitzender der Christlich Demokratischen Union
|Member of||Federal Executive Presidium|
|Formation||1 March 1946|
|First holder||Konrad Adenauer|
|Deputy||Silvia Breher |
The Leader of the Christian Democratic Union Party is supported by a General Secretary who, since 2018, has been Paul Ziemiak. Furthermore, the leader is supported by five deputy leaders: these currently are Silvia Breher, Volker Bouffier, Julia Klöckner and Thomas Strobl.
Leaders of the Christian Democratic Union (1946–present)Edit
A list of leaders since 1946
|No.||Leader||Took office||Left office||Time in office||State||Chancellor|
|1 March 1946||23 March 1966||20 years, 22 days||North Rhine-Westphalia||Himself|
|23 March 1966||23 May 1967||1 year, 61 days||Baden-Württemberg||Himself|
Kurt Georg Kiesinger
|3||Kurt Georg Kiesinger|
|23 May 1967||5 October 1971||4 years, 135 days||Baden-Württemberg||Himself|
|5 October 1971||12 June 1973||1 year, 250 days||North Rhine-Westphalia||Willy Brandt|
|12 June 1973||7 November 1998||25 years, 148 days||Rhineland-Palatinate||Willy Brandt|
|7 November 1998||16 February 2000||1 year, 101 days||Baden-Württemberg||Gerhard Schröder|
|10 April 2000||7 December 2018||18 years, 294 days||Mecklenburg-Vorpommern||Gerhard Schröder|
|7 December 2018||16 January 2021[b]||2 years, 40 days||Saarland||Angela Merkel|
|16 January 2021||Incumbent||1 day||North Rhine-Westphalia||Angela Merkel|
- There is uncertainty over the question whether Erhard was ever actually a member of the CDU. Reports at the time suggested that he joined the party when he became chairman, although his membership was backdated by three years. However, reports in 2007 suggested that Erhard never actually joined the CDU. The Konrad Adenauer Foundation, which holds the party archives, reported that the question could "not be answered conclusively."
- On February 10th 2020 she said she would quit her role as party chairwoman.
- "Vorstand". Christlich Demokratische Union Deutschlands (in German). Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- "Startseite". Christlich Demokratische Union Deutschlands (in German). Retrieved 24 April 2018.
- Kellerhoff, Sven Felix (25 April 2007). "Der Kanzler, der nie Mitglied seiner Partei war". Die Welt. Retrieved 25 April 2018.
- "Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer's resignation upends German politics". The Economist. 10 February 2020.