Lazarus were a 1970s American soft rock band, consisting of principal members Billie Hughes, Gary Dye, and Carl Keesee. Hughes was the leader of the band, serving as lead singer and songwriter, and playing guitar and violin. The band are considered early artists in the Contemporary Christian movement.
The band members of Lazarus met in college in Abilene, Texas. Initially, the band name was Shiloh. At a concert of Peter, Paul & Mary, they were able to meet Peter Yarrow backstage and play him their demo tape.  In association with Yarrow and producer Phil Ramone, Lazarus moved to Peter Yarrow's cabin in Woodstock, N.Y., signing with the newly formed Bearsville Records (Warner Bros.) label, under the direction of Albert Grossman. The self-titled debut album Lazarus was the second album released on the Bearsville label.
Released in 1971, this first album featured the single "Warmth of Your Eyes," which became a moderate hit the following year. Their second and final album, A Fool's Paradise, followed in 1973, from which "Ladyfriends I (Sing a Song to Your Lady)" was tagged as a single. Both albums were produced by Yarrow and Phil Ramone.
Over the next four years, Lazarus performed extensively throughout the United States and Canada. Lazarus was represented by the booking agency East-West Talent, Inc. who also represented The Band, Paul Butterfield, Foghat, Hello People, and Todd Rundgren.
In 1976, the band won the Clio Award for Life Savers Best Commercial of the Year. The "Life Savers" TV commercial with the song written and performed by the band Lazarus ran nine years nationwide. The commercial starred Peter Billingsley and Suzanne Somers in different versions of the commercial, respectively.
Following Lazarus' disbandment, Hughes went on to pursue a solo career and later formed a successful songwriting partnership with Roxanne Seeman.
- "Lazarus by Lazarus on Apple Music". iTunes. Retrieved 2017-07-18.
- "Time Has Told Me: by Anonymous". Retrieved 2019-10-12.
- Hoskyns, Barney (2016-03-08). Small Town Talk: Bob Dylan, The Band, Van Morrison, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix and Friends in the Wild Years of Woodstock. Da Capo Press. ISBN 9780306823213.
- Inc, Nielsen Business Media (1972-05-06). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc.
- "Deep Dive: Lazarus, A FOOL'S PARADISE | Rhino". www.rhino.com. Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- Inc, Nielsen Business Media (1972-07-22). Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc.
- FM1156 (2016-10-28), Life Savers A Part Of Living 1978 TV Commercial HD, retrieved 2017-07-18
- robatsea2009 (2012-07-17), Life Savers 1978 commercial with Peter Billingsley, retrieved 2017-07-18
- robatsea2009 (2009-08-25), Suzanne Somers for Lifesavers 1979, retrieved 2017-07-18
- "Bearsville Anthology - Various Artists | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 2017-07-18.
- Lazarus on Allmusic.com