Quarter of Berlin
|• Total||6.99 km2 (2.70 sq mi)|
|Elevation||50 m (160 ft)|
|• Density||5,800/km2 (15,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
(nr. 0603) 12247, 12249
The locality was first mentioned in 1239 with the name of Lankowice. Autonomous Prussian municipality of the former Teltow district, Lankwitz was incorporated into Berlin in 1920, with the "Greater Berlin Act".
Lankwitz is situated in the southern suburb of Berlin, close to the borders with the Brandenburg. It borders with the localities of Steglitz, Lichterfelde, Mariendorf, Marienfelde (both in Tempelhof-Schöneberg district) and, in a short point represented by a bridge over the Teltowkanal, with Tempelhof. The Teltowkanal also remarks the boundary between Lankwitz and Steglitz.
The following organisations are based in Lankwitz:
The following buildings are located in Lankwitz:
- Martin Benrath (1926–2000)
- Mithat Demirel (b. 1978)
- Heinz Henschel (1920–2006), German Ice Hockey Hall of Fame, and IIHF Hall of Fame inductee
- Marianne Rosenberg (b. 1955)
- Peter M. Gresshoff (b. 1948) Professor of Molecular Genetics, legume nodulation expert (now retired in Brisbane Australia). formerly student in Kastanien-Schule (Lichterfelde) and Schulfarm Insel Scharfenberg).