Landau an der Isar
Landau an der Isar (official name: Landau a.d.Isar) is the second largest town in the Lower Bavarian district, or Landkreis, of Dingolfing-Landau, in the state of Bavaria, Germany. It lies on the river Isar. In 2005, the population was around 12,950.
Landau an der Isar
|• Mayor||Josef Brunner (CSU)|
|• Total||84.37 km2 (32.58 sq mi)|
|Elevation||390 m (1,280 ft)|
|• Density||160/km2 (410/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
|Vehicle registration||DGF (formerly: LAN)|
Landau was founded in 1224 by the Wittelsbach Ludwig I, Duke of Bavaria. The town had been a Pflegamt for many years and belonged to the Landshut Rentamt of the Electorate-Principality (Kurfürstentum) of Bavaria. Landau possessed a town court with broad magisterial powers (Landgericht).
Until the Bavarian county reform, or Kreisreform in German, in 1972, Landau was the district seat (Kreisstadt) of its own Landkreis, having the license plate code LAN. In the reform, the former townships of Frammering, Mettenhausen, Reichersdorf and Zeholfing, along with parts of the townships of Kammern and Ganacker, were merged with the town of Landau. The incorporation of the townships of Nieder- and Oberhöcking followed in 1978.
- Uschi Glas, actress
- Jakob Ziegler, mathematician
- Christian Jungwirth, actor and radio DJ
- Manfred Böckl, author
- town pastor Johann Baptist Huber, opponent of the Nazi régime
- Norbert Niemann, author
Honorary town citizensEdit
Sights to seeEdit
- Late Gothic parish church with important winged altar associated with Hans Leinberger in Usterling
- Town museum (Heimatmuseum)
- Town parish church of the Virgin Mary; the parish church of the Assumption of Dormition of the Mother of God (feast day: 15 August) was constructed during the tenure of the town priest Fr. Phillip Rappoldsberger von Dominikus Magazin in 1713. It counts as the largest and most beautiful Baroque church structure in the lower Isar Valley. The church interior shines with the marvellous Baroque high altar and eight side altars.
- Wildthurn Castle (Schloss Wildthurn)
- Lower Bavarian Museum of Archæology in the Kastenhof, a former ducal residence
- The "Growing Rock" (Wachsender Felsen) in Usterling
- The Devil's Stairway (Teufelstritt) in Zulling
- The Boulder Church, or Steinfelskirche; the church "At the Thrice-Great Mother in the Rock" originates from the period after the Thirty Years' War and was constructed under Fr. Phillip Rappoldsberger. It houses many votive panels from the 17th and 18th centuries and is counted among the most important pilgrimage churches of the lower Isar Valley.
Economy and infrastructureEdit
Economy: prominent companiesEdit
- Brauerei Krieger
- Einhell AG
- Dräxlmaier Group
- IBPmedien GmbH
- Hefele KG
- Huber GmbH
- Spedition Niedermaier
- vionic Dialog- und Internetmarketing
- Juvenile Detention Centre
- Ministry for Rural Development
- Forest Ministry
- Ministry of Agriculture
- Surveying Agency
- "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes". Bayerisches Landesamt für Statistik und Datenverarbeitung (in German). July 2019.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Landau an der Isar.|