Launcelot John Goody London – 13 May 1992 in Perth, Western Australia), an Australian metropolitan bishop, was the sixth Roman Catholic Archbishop of Perth, serving from 1968 to 1983. Prior to his election as Archbishop of Perth, Goody served as the inaugural Bishop of Bunbury from 1954 to 1968., (5 June 1908 in
The Most Reverend Sir
|6th Roman Catholic Archbishop|
|Diocese||Archdiocese of Perth|
|Installed||18 October 1968|
|Term ended||26 October 1983|
|Other posts||Bishop of Bunbury (1954 – 1968)|
|Ordination||20 December 1930 (Priest) in Rome|
|Consecration||1 November 1951 (Bishop)|
|Birth name||Launcelot John Goody|
|Born||5 June 1908|
|Died||13 May 1992 (aged 83)|
Perth, Western Australia
|Denomination||Roman Catholic Church|
|Parents||Ernest John Goody and Agnes Goody (nee Buckeridge)|
|Occupation||Roman Catholic bishop|
Early years and backgroundEdit
When Goody was aged eight years, together with his parents he migrated to Australia from England due to his father starting to feel the effects of creeping spinal paralysis. The family arrived in Perth and were met by representatives of Archbishop Patrick Clune, having converted from Anglicanism to Catholicism some years yearlier.
Bishop and ArchbishopEdit
On 12 November 1954, aged 46, he was appointed the first Roman Catholic Bishop of Bunbury, in Western Australia. On 18 October 1968, aged 60, he was appointed Archbishop of Perth, Australia. During his time as a prelate, Goody attended all four sessions of the Second Vatican Council.
Goody became a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire for service to the Roman Catholic Church as part of the 1977 New Year's Honour List (effective 31 December 1976). He personally received the accolade from Queen Elizabeth II during her Silver Jubilee visit to Australia in 1977. The L J Goody Bioethics Centre, an agency of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Perth, was founded in 1985 and named in honour of Goody.
- "Archbishop Launcelot John Goody". The Hierarchy of the Catholic Church. 20 February 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "Bishop Goody". Diocese of Bunbury. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- "From convert to Church leader". Perspectives. Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne. Archived from the original on 7 March 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- "The Order of the British Empire - Knight Commander (Civil) (KBE(C)) entry for GOODY, Launcelot John". It's an Honour, Australian Honours Database. Canberra, Australia: Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. 31 December 1976. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
In recognition of service to the Roman Catholic Church, particularly as the Archbishop of Perth
- "About us". L J Goody Bioethics Centre. Retrieved 22 December 2011.
- Winship, John A (2010). Our cathedral : a history of St Mary's Cathedral, Perth, Western Australia. Perth, Western Australia: Archdiocese of Perth. p. 240. ISBN 9781453755198.
|Catholic Church titles|
newly erected Diocese
| 1st Catholic Bishop of Bunbury
1954 – 1968
| 6th Catholic Archbishop of Perth
1968 – 1983