La Charité-sur-Loire is a commune in the Nièvre department in central France in the south of Paris.

La Charité-sur-Loire
Sainte-Croix-Notre-Dame in La Charité-sur-Loire
Sainte-Croix-Notre-Dame in La Charité-sur-Loire
Coat of arms of La Charité-sur-Loire
Coat of arms
Location of La Charité-sur-Loire
La Charité-sur-Loire is located in France
La Charité-sur-Loire
La Charité-sur-Loire
La Charité-sur-Loire is located in Bourgogne-Franche-Comté
La Charité-sur-Loire
La Charité-sur-Loire
Coordinates: 47°10′40″N 3°01′11″E / 47.1778°N 3.0197°E / 47.1778; 3.0197Coordinates: 47°10′40″N 3°01′11″E / 47.1778°N 3.0197°E / 47.1778; 3.0197
CountryFrance
RegionBourgogne-Franche-Comté
DepartmentNièvre
ArrondissementCosne-Cours-sur-Loire
CantonLa Charité-sur-Loire
IntercommunalityPays Charitois
Government
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Gaëtan Gorce
Area
1
15.78 km2 (6.09 sq mi)
Population
(1999)2
5,460
 • Density350/km2 (900/sq mi)
Time zoneUTC+01:00 (CET)
 • Summer (DST)UTC+02:00 (CEST)
INSEE/Postal code
58059 /58400
Elevation153–215 m (502–705 ft)
1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries. 2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Contents

HistoryEdit

The town began as the first of the Cluniac priories on an island site in the Loire.

A great fire ravaged the town in 1559. In the French Wars of Religion, it was one of the fortified towns granted as Huguenot safe havens by the Peace of Saint-Germain (August 1570). In the Second War the fortified town withstood eight months of siege by Catholic forces.

By the time of the French Revolution only a dozen monks remained in the priory, which was sold to private individuals and preserved. An improved highway that was to be driven through the church was deflected by the report of Prosper Mérimée, the first inspector of monuments (and author of Carmen) who classed it as worth saving in 1840.

DemographicsEdit

At the 1999 census, the population was 5,460. On 1 January 2005, the estimate was 5,405.

SightsEdit

The priory stands as a ruin. Simon I de Senlis was buried in it. The church Sainte-Croix-Notre-Dame was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1998, as part of the Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France.

See alsoEdit

ReferencesEdit

External linksEdit