L Line (RTD)
The L Line is a light rail line which is part of the light rail system operated by the Regional Transportation District in the Denver–Aurora Metropolitan Area in Colorado. The L Line opened as part of a service change in 2018 and is formed by a truncated section of the D Line, which formerly served the route.
A northbound L-Line train at the 18th & California station.
|Owner||Regional Transportation District|
|Locale||Denver–Aurora Metropolitan Area|
|Termini||30th & Downing|
16th & California/16th & Stout
|System||Regional Transportation District|
|Operator(s)||Regional Transportation District|
|Opened||January 14, 2018|
|Number of tracks||1–2|
|Track gauge||4 ft 8 1⁄2 in (1,435 mm)|
|Electrification||Overhead lines, 750 V DC|
The L Line's northern terminus is in Five Points northeast of downtown Denver. From 30th & Downing station, it runs southwest along Welton Street before turning down 19th Street. On trips toward downtown, the line runs along Stout Street; on trips leaving downtown, the line loops back at 14th Street before serving stations on California Street and then heading back to 30th & Downing along Welton Street.
The Central Rail Extension Mobility Study Final Report proposed that the D Line stations from 20th & Welton to 30th & Downing and future extension stations be operated on an independent route. This route would operate from the downtown loop to a new terminus created by sharing the A Line's 38th & Blake station. Former D Line riders would have to transfer to the new L Line as the D Line's new northern terminus would be the downtown loop (nominally 18th & California station). The 14th & California station closed in 2004 could be restored to support the L Line at the Convention Center, allowing for transfers to Theatre District–Convention Center station. RTD's Board of Directors approved the introduction of the current shorter version of the L Line with the January 14, 2018 service changes. The L Line uses existing track between 30th & Downing station and the downtown loop.
|30th & Downing||1994||None||Denver||Yes|
|29th & Welton||1994||(closed 2013)||Denver||No|
|27th & Welton||1995||None||Denver||No|
|25th & Welton||1994||None||Denver||No|
|20th & Welton||1994||None||Denver||No|
|18th & California (northbound) and
18th & Stout (southbound)
|1994||, & Lines||Denver||No|
|16th & California (northbound) and
16th & Stout (southbound)
, & Lines|
FREE MallRide (16th St)
- Konopasek, Michael (14 January 2018). "RTD launches L Line train service". Fox. KDVR. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- "RTD - Rail: L Line (Southbound)". Regional Transportation District. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "RTD - Rail: L Line (Northbound)". Regional Transportation District. Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "RTD - Central Rail Extension Mobility Study Final Report, December 2014". Regional Transportation District. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- "RTD - FasTracks System Map". Regional Transportation District. Archived from the original on December 23, 2013. Retrieved May 12, 2015.
- "Final Service Changes - January 2018". RTD. Retrieved 16 November 2017.