Ortsteil of Löbejün-Wettin
General view of Löbejün
|• Total||20.52 km2 (7.92 sq mi)|
|Elevation||161 m (528 ft)|
|• Density||110/km2 (280/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The following towns are classified as part of Löbejün:
Löbejün was first recognized in 961 as Liubichun.
² Source: Statistisches Landesamt Sachsen-Anhalt
Since 1518 (when the quarry was first mentioned) porphyry was processed. In circa 1622 the coal mine was founded. The coal mine reached peak production in the 18th century, when it had 27 mine shafts. It closed in 1884.
Löbejün is the administrative centre of the administrative district of the northern Saalkreis (area surrounding the Saale River), Saalkreis Nord.
The mayor, Thomas Madl, (CDU) was re-elected on the 20. January 2002.
The city shield consists of a green background with two silver key with their teeth pointed outwards. Four roses (the upper and lower, silver, and the ones on the side, red) are also found on the shield.
- Schifferstadt (since 2002)
Culture and monumentsEdit
- Heimatmuseum im Halleschen Tor
The Internationale Carl-Loewe-Gesellschaft e. V. (International Carl Loewe Society) holds concerts and events related to the composer Carl Loewe.
Economy and infrastructureEdit
Long-time companies present in LöbejünEdit
In Löbejün porphyry is removed from the ground. Often used as fill in building roads, it is also used in home construction and also in the city wall, the Hallesche Tor and other buildings in the city.
The composer Carl Loewe was born on 30 November 1796 in Löbejün. The birthplace of Loewe was torn down in 1886. In the place of the house, near the Church of St. Petri, the Alte Schule (the old school) (today: Carl Loewe-Haus) was built.
- Siegmar von Schultze-Galléra: Wanderungen durch den Saalkreis (Journeys through the region surrounding Halle), Halle 1921
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Löbejün.|