|East German administrative division||Rostock|
|Vehicle registration plate||A (Bezirk Rostock)|
|Kreis Putbus within Bezirk Rostock|
After the end of the Second World War the shire county of Rügen (Landkreis Rügen), which covered the island of Rügen, came under the Soviet Zone of Occupation and was incorporated into the state of Mecklenburg. On 25 July 1952 there was a comprehensive land reform in East Germany, in which the states lost their importance and new provinces called Bezirke were formed. Out of the territory of the old county of Rügen the town new counties of Putbus and Bergen were formed.
Kreis Putbus was joined to East Germany's network of trunk roads by the F96 from Saßnitz via Rambin to Berlin. A railway link to the mainland existed in the shape of the line from Saßnitz via Rambin to Stralsund. Rail services in the county were also served by the branch lines of Bergen & Lauterbach Mole, Lietzow & Binz and Altefähr & Göhren.
Kreis Putbus covered the southern part of the island of Rügen including the peninsulas of Mönchgut and Zudar. The following subdivisions belonged to the district: the towns of Garz and Putbus and the municipalities of Alt Reddevitz, Altefähr, Altensien, Binz, Dreschvitz, Gager, Groß Schoritz, Gustow, Göhren, Jarkvitz, Karnitz, Kasnevitz, Lancken, Middelhagen, Neu Reddevitz, Baabe, Poseritz, Rambin, Samtens, Seedorf, Sehlen, Sellin, Swantow, Thießow, Zirkow and Zudar.