Korb is a municipality in the Rems-Murr district, in Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It is located 3 km east of Waiblingen, and 15 km northeast of Stuttgart. Korb is known for the wines produced in the area.
|• Mayor||Jochen Müller|
|• Total||8.45 km2 (3.26 sq mi)|
|Elevation||296 m (971 ft)|
|• Density||1,300/km2 (3,300/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
The first known written mention dates from the year 1270. In an Esslingen document from the year 1270 is testified that the hospital in Esslingen has acquired land in Korb from the convent in Steinheim (Murr).
Only in 1270 Korb will appear in the said document again. During the Thirty Years' War 1618-1648 there was great distress, and Korb was partially totally uninhabited (1636-38). Peasant uprising (1514 " Poor Conrad ") and the French invasion (1797) made also great suffer for Korb. Over the centuries the wine played a major role in the predominantly rural population. He made practically the main source of income.
During the Thirty Years' War the city suffered severe population losses. A few families were able to escape through temporary escape, including the Singer family.
Modern History/Modern TimesEdit
Only the industrialization around the turn of the century made the change for Korb to the today residential community. Before had been a catastrophic phylloxera infestation, all the vine yards in the Remstal had to be burned.
Buses that run frequently connect Korb with the Waiblingen station, as well as over Kleinheppach with Endersbach station to Weinstadt.
Notable peoples from KorbEdit
- Jakob Friedrich Weishaar (1775–1834), president of the chamber of deputies of the Württemberg Landtag
- Alfred Leikam (1915–1992), Righteous among the Nations and mayor of Korb 1945
- Marco Fritz (born 1977), Football Bundesliga referee
- Yvonne Englich (born 1979), international successful wrestler
- Ernst, Gottlob: Korb Steinreinach, Die Geschichte zweier Weinbausiedlungen. Korb 1970
- Heinrich, Jörg: Kirchenbuch Korb, 1662 bis 1807. Abschrift, Karlsruhe 2010
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Korb (Württemberg).|
- "Bevölkerung nach Nationalität und Geschlecht am 31. Dezember 2018". Statistisches Landesamt Baden-Württemberg (in German). July 2019.
|This Rems-Murr location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|